Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I Blew Out A Candle This Morning

I blew out a candle this morning.

And had eggs and carrot cake for breakfast.

I was called “sweetheart” and got a kiss first thing this morning from the man I share this life with. And an adjustable bed :)


He gave me a card with a fat pug on it, and a handwritten message inside that was as sweet as syrup. I’ll keep it forever. And a new GPS!!!!


It’s 1:37pm and so far, more than 120 people have wished me a Happy Birthday on Facebook. What a beautiful thing. I dare even the staunchest cynic to post their birthday on Facebook, receive that many well wishes from family, old boyfriends, high school classmates, former co-workers, people they’ve mentored and people they look up to, and tell me it doesn’t matter. Because it does. I feel like a million bucks right now! I still wish I had a million bucks, but if I had to choose, honestly, I’d rather just feel like a million bucks.


I feel the love, so THANK YOU to each one of you that took the time to wish me a Happy Birthday!

It’s been a good year. I’m looking forward to the next one.


I’m 31 today.

It’s not the third anniversary of my 29th birthday.

Although, my 29th birthday was pretty epic, and is definitely worth celebrating, that’s when Michael and I got engaged!! The way I see it, we celebrate my 29th birthday every day! :)


But no, I’m not 29 anymore.

I am starting to realize the effects of age. My hair is thinning, my thighs are not! My muscles ache a little longer after a workout (which is sadly, rare, although hopefully not for long!) I am now affected by loud music. I don’t speak text and that makes me feel slightly outdated. I go to bed by 9pm and flour sales and buy one get one free coupons make me excited. I wear comfortable shoes and I’m getting more reflective and sentimental with each day.


But, life is good.

I leave you with the wise words of Tim McGraw:


I think I’ll take a moment, celebrate my age
The ending of an era and the turning of a page
Now it’s time to focus in on where I go from here
Lord have mercy on my next thirty years

Hey my next thirty years I’m gonna have some fun
Try to forget about all the crazy things I’ve done
Maybe now I’ve conquered all my adolescent fears
And I’ll do it better in my next thirty years

My next thirty years I’m gonna settle all the scores
Cry a little less, laugh a little more
Find a world of happiness without the hate and fear
Figure out just what I’m doing here
In my next thirty years

Oh my next thirty years, I’m gonna watch my weight
Eat a few more salads and not stay up so late
Drink a little lemonade and not so many beers
Maybe I’ll remember my next thirty years

My next thirty years will be the best years of my life
Raise a little family and hang out with my wife
Spend precious moments with the ones that I hold dear
Make up for lost time here, in my next thirty years



5 comments:

Coffee Mom said...

I loved all of this, Dana.

Happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

Hope your birthday was wonderful! Loved this post.

Jamie said...

How in the world did I miss your birthday? I'm so upset that I didn't get a chance to tell you Happy Birthday ON your special day. Boo on that! Anyway, I loved this post, and I'm so happy you had a good day. May God bless you this next year. Happy Belated Birthday from your GA friend :)

S. J. Wells said...

Dana, I don't know you, except from what I've read in your blog, here, but happy late birthday. I love your blog! I couldn't hardly stop reading it, yesterday. Eggs and carrot cake sound great to me as a breakfast. This morning I ate a cookie. :) Have a happy Sunday.

Kristen@TheFrugalGirl said...

Oh, I didn't realize that you were almost exactly my age (I'm 32.5 ;) ).

Happy Birthday!