Monday, February 28, 2011

Practice Makes Perfect

I am a product of a childhood of athletics. And, I'm very thankful for this.
I started learning at like 6 years old what it meant to be a part of a team (there's no "i" in team, but there is in win), the importance of doing drills over and over and over even when you feel like you know what to do ("you play like you practice") and how to move on when something doesn't go as planned ("shake it off").
I'm 31 years old and these little sports sayings still play in my mind, daily. Over and over.
I "get my head in the game," I always look for opportunities to "turn two," I know in my heart that "quitters never win and winners never quit."

All that stuff matters. I'm definitely teaching this stuff to my kids, someday. Such invaluable lessons!

What in the world made me think of this?
The cupcakes I made for Mr. Ritter on Valentine's Day, of course.

Friends, I give you the first, and the last.

Not in that order, of course.
I bake a lot. I do not frost a lot of cupcakes. Which is why the first one I did looked like this...

Don't mind my old lady hands. I have a skin condition on my hands that has left them really scarred. It's not a big deal, but doesn't photograph well.
That poor first cupcake, right?
Well, the good news is, quitters never win and winners never quit and practice makes perfect... so the last cupcake got the "most improved" award!

These were Nutella Cupcakes, by the way. They were pretty good, but I think slightly overcooked and a bit dry. But, cardboard with Nutella on it is delicious, so a couple extra minutes in the oven isn't going to scare me away.


I gave said perfect cupcake to my Valentine, naturally. I ate that poor first one. It was yummylicious.

No comments: