Saturday, February 12, 2011

I'm a List Maker


I have a co-worker who jokes I would write "take shower" on a list.
Don't joke.
It has been done before!

To all of you who email me asking how I get so much done or comment that you can't believe I get so much done in one day... this is one of my secrets.

Well, not really a secret. It's not like to-do lists are anything new! But, I do almost everything, by a list. Even if it's not written down on an actual, physical list, there's a list in my head.

I think this may or may not drive my free-spirited/creative type husband nuts.
But, at least he lives in a clean house, right? :)

Recently, work has been out of control busy!
I cover the White House. I write a daily blog for work. I produce a bi-weekly show that is made up from scratch. I help run an entire Bureau. It is crazy! There are administrative tasks, things that need to be done right away, and long term planning items that seem to roll over forever and ever. And, we're starting to travel more and more as the 2012 Presidential race heats up.

I used to be able to get by with just one "to do" list.
Now, I've evolved into compartmentalizing my list and it's made such a difference! I think it helps me to get more done, and feel less overwhelmed.

My list is now usually split up among the following categories. It may vary day to day, depending on what I have going on.

-Follow Up (anything I need to double check, or respond to, or something that I'm waiting on from someone else)
-Contact (emails, phone calls)
-BF Show (that's our show, "The Brody File")
-Blog (WHW, that's my work blog, "White House Wrap")
-White House (anything I need to check on at the WH)
-Administrative (timesheets, expense reports, renew my passport, stuff like that)
-Personal (things like update this blog, reminders for Michael, home responsibilities like taxes and grocery shopping)

Let me tell you! Compartmentalizing is the way to go! It's much less jumbled. And if you know you only have 5 minutes, you can find something on your list (like send an e-mail, or follow up on something) that will only take 5 minutes.

Then... you get to bask in the glory of scratching something off! IS there anything better?
Really.

I have some other "systems" that I use to make me more productive. Maybe I'll share those with you sometime, too. If you're interested.

2 comments:

The Goldsmith's Gazette said...

I am a list maker also, but I love that you compartmentalize, I will have to add that one to my lists. I love checking off things on my list, it gives me such a high! I am interested in more productive systems you may offer!

Anonymous said...

I'm sitting here howling- I grew up with Jay Mishkin and here he is on your to-do list! Great Jersey Guy!