Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A Soldier's Send Off

My little brother, Chris, leaves for Basic Training on Thursday. Over the weekend, my family got together to celebrate how proud we are of him and to show him that. I hope he knows. Because we are. All of us. SO proud. So excited for and with him. My 6 year od nephew, Brayden said it best. We were in the car, on the way home and Brayden asked who's party that was. (There was no birthday cake, so it was a logical question to ask) My sister explained to Brayden that it was Chris's party - because he has a new job. Brayden asked what that was. Tracy said, "He's in the Army now." Brayden sat straight up, wide eyed. "HE'S IN THE *ARMY* NOW?" "WHOAAAA!!!" Brayden thought it was SO cool. Then he said, "I wish somebody woulda had told me that." We all smiled and laughed a little but I think that joy, that pride, that "wow" that Brayden expressed in his booster seat in the back of my sister's SUV - that's the same feeling we're all experiencing now. Chris - we love you. Kick butt.



Img_0661

Img_0660

Img_0662

Img_0665

Img_0668

Img_0669

Img_0670

Img_0674

Img_0675

Img_0681

Img_0682

Img_0677Img_0688

Img_0691

Img_0694



2 comments:

Gretchen said...

Awww..I just wish I was in your family. You 3 sibs are so good looking I would fit right in. Trang Gehweiler Brown. Oh also hilarious observation.....your dad sporting a suit to the send off that all others are wearing jeans to...I know he just got off work, but still if I didn't know where he worked....it would be really funny...like no one told him it wasn't a semi-formal.

cindy floyd said...

Hey,
Tell gretchen I thought she was in the family. You and she favor anyway. She might be Trang. Ha
love, air brushed mama