Friday, January 22, 2010

Time to Update



I have faced my computer screen at work for the past week feeling guilty for not updating this blog. So, now I'm just going to do it.



I cannot guarantee that this will be a particularly informative or inspirational post, I am literally just writing something to fill the space.


I'd love to show off something I've cooked recently, but other than a few loaves of Banana Nut Bread (one of which I gave away) there hasn't been much REAL cooking going on at our house lately. Well, I did make an impressive Roasted Pork with Apples & Sauerkraut and some homemade oatmeal dinner rolls a couple of weekends ago when we had a friend over. But, alas... no pictures.



Last weekend, I went to Richmond to cover Gov. Bob McDonnell's inauguration. I brought Michael along. And after I stopped freaking out worrying over his every move, it was a great time.






As you can see... we pretty much had the best seats in the house! Virginia does inaugurations right! It was full of pomp & circumstance! I think there were about three moments where I almost teared up: When the Governor's daughter sang the Star Spangled Banner, when the jets flew over (always gets me) and one other moment that I don't remember at this point. :)



It was a busy work day, but I'm so blessed to have a job that I absolutely love and that often gives me a front row seat to history! This is my third Virginia Gubernatorial inauguration. Good stuff!






The night before inauguration, we met up with some of my old WSLS friends. That's the first TV station I worked at right after college, in Roanoke. It was so much fun, so refreshing to hang out with Jay, he's like a big news brother. It totally took me back to who I used to be. That 20 year old producer with dreams and goals as big as the sky. It was fun to look back, a little scary to look within, but again, it's all good.



One of the hardest things for me to manage since getting married is finding that work/home "balance." I've always heard women talk about this, but always in the case of balancing work and KIDS... not work and a husband. Does that make me weak? Call me crazy, but throwing a husband into my world, which up until this point was pretty much 100% revolving around the news business... has been a bit challenging. And sometimes I feel guilt from all angles. Guilt that I want to leave work "on time" to get home to my husband. Guilt that when I get home I'm constantly checking my work e-mail, or listening to him with one ear, while listening to a press conference or a newscast with the other.








I decided it's not a balancing act. It's more of a juggling act. Something is always up in the air. And it has to be... or that means something has fallen to the ground, right? Maybe I will get better at juggling as the years go by. I don't know. Right now, I'm just on the basic level, and I have to be okay with that.

No comments: