Monday, September 1, 2008

Saturday

We got here Saturday afternoon.  We didn't have that much to do.  We just wanted to get a lay of the land, etc.  Rest up for a week of "big coverage."  (Meanwhile, Gustav was swirling to the south, with all kinds of plans of his own to rain on our parade - but whatever)

IMG_1906

Here's a peek at my hotel room.  I only take this pictures because of Christin's inspiration - but my hotel rooms are never as cool as hers!


I do like the king size bed, and I appreciate the fact that there is no scratchy hotel comforter!  I hate those things.







IMG_1903


This is my view.  Not bad, eh?  It overlooks the indoor pool.

I hope to get out there at some point, I did bring a bathing suit... maybe tonight (I think it's Monday, haha - I feel like I haven't been 100% sure what time or day it is since we go here!)



















IMG_1909


Shameless mirror self portrait.

You know you wanted it!!!
























IMG_1925

Then it was off to check out our diggs at the Xcel Energy Center.


The place is all decked out!











IMG_1932
This is the view from our skybox.
















IMG_1949
The view of our skybox from the convention floor.















IMG_1920


This is our workspace.  Laurie was calling to set up interviews.  The workspace is in a trailer across the street from the Xcel Center.

I'll have to get some more "behind the scenes" pics of that so you know what I mean.







IMG_1921
Then I made a couple of trips around the Xcel Center.  I was trying to get to "the hospital" to pick up my co-worker, Eric.  (long, funny story, but HE'S FINE - if he wants to share the story, I'll have him do that, it's a classic!)

So I set out for "the hospital across the street," right?

I met some clueless police officers (they were flown in from across the country to help with security, but did not know their way around) and some nice homeless people.


IMG_1923

I saw some cool sites.


This is FOX News headquarters - it's HUGE - I'd say they have a bigger presence here than any other media.










IMG_1922


And this is the CNN Grill - they took over a restaurant - they did this in Denver, too.

I SOOOOOO WANT TO GO THERE!! Pray for me that I will be able to convince my co-workers, who are not as into all of this as I am - to go there at least once.


I'm such a dork.  I wonder if they have t-shirts?
Hmmmmmm....















IMG_1924

FINALLY - after about an hour of walking around downtown St. Paul.  I go there.  United Hospital.  Not St. Joe's or St. John's or whatever that other hospital was called.


Definitely not how I was planning on spending my first afternoon in St. Paul - but I was not about to leave my co-worker stranded at the hospital forever.

You know how it takes forever to get discharged from an ER?

Glad he's okay.  Phew.













We ran into a really nice guy on a street corner on our way to dinner, he reminded me of the Trubadour days on Gilmore Girls! :

 


Right after I shot the video of this guy he said, "This better be on youtube by tonight!" Check. 
I love having dinner on the company!  I love it when anyone buys my dinner.  Scoop does, too.

Oh, we ran into Al Franken in the parking garage Saturday night! And we went to a Super Target... my world stopped. (because of my undying love for Target - not necessarily for Al Franken, but it was cool that he was willing to be photographed by Sally with my camera - she's such a sport!)
IMG_1929

IMG_1928


No comments: