Sunday, September 30, 2012

Life in the Cage

It's funny how things change.

A few years ago, I would wake up on Saturday mornings, drink coffee (that part hasn't changed), and cruise apartments on Craigslist in Washington, DC or even New York City.
I dreamed of living in a high rise with a grocery store in it, and taking the Metro everywhere.

Then, I did it.
And then, I got married and moved out to the suburbs.

Now, I'm a commuter.
I don't have the worst commute, but it would be nice to have those two hours back every day to do something meaningful, or at least - productive.

In the last week, I've gotten TWO speeding tickets from speed cameras in DC.
I am so mad.

Yes, I was speeding, I was breaking the law. I get that.
It's just crazy to me that you can get a ticket for this without a human police officer even being involved.
Then - I read that the DC Mayor is trying to discourage people from driving!?!
Argh! Who is he to decide how I get around?

This - paired with other parts of city life - are really getting on my nerves lately.
old press pass

People in the city walk around with lanyards around their necks.  At least, journalists do.  Mine has my White House pass, my Capitol Hill pass, my work ID, a fob to get into the parking garage at work, a fob to get into my apartment complex, my Metro Smartrip card and my Starbucks card.

So many ways that I have to prove I am who I am before I enter ANYWHERE I go!
I'm sick of it!

Particularly the stupid gate at our apartment complex.
I guess the gate is supposed to make me feel secure, like I live in this nice, "luxury" gated community.
I shook my head at that stupid gate when I was walking the dogs this morning.
Because THIS is how it makes me feel:
This is not helped by the fact that I travel a lot. So, that means lots more proving who I am, and going through security. And - covering the presidential race brings a lot of that too. The Secret Service likes to know who you are.

Anyway.
All of this has left me feeling like I'm ready to live here:
I want wide open space, where I can come and go as I please, and maybe even speed - just a little - if I want to.

4 comments:

cheryl pickford said...

Sounds like Montana or maybe Fargo ND are calling you. (Fargo is one of the fastest growing cities in America but still has wide open spaces....and regular subzero temps in the winter. A friend of mine pastors there.) I heard Montana has no speed limit--not many people, but LOTS of wide open space. Steve did a long commute for the past 13 years; it is awful. I pray God gives you direction.

Unknown said...

Wide open spaces are good for the soul. Nothing like hundreds of miles between you and the neighbor. :)

Dana Brown Ritter said...

Oh goodness, I don't know if this beach girl could be landlocked! :)

Dana Brown Ritter said...

Kara, do you really live that far from your neighbors? I can currently hear my neighbor jumping above me, so that sounds kind of lovely!