Monday, September 24, 2012

After the Election

Completely unrelated photo of pie. Because pie and sunlight are both good, no matter what you're talking about.

It's 7:25am on a Monday, I think.
I’m at Panera.
I just swallowed a Pumpkin bagel with Hazelnut cream cheese, almost whole.
I am so hungry lately.
And, I’m fat.
Dangerous combination.

I can’t deal with that until after the Election.

“After the election,” has almost become this sort of mythical time and space.
A land far away, in another time – in my imagination.

The reality is, it’s 44 days away.
That’s not long at all.

It’s kind of like Daylight Savings Time.
You know, when you get that extra hour, and you think just one extra hour is going to make you more rested, more productive, better looking and happier?

Then, it happens - and you are shocked to realize that you didn’t get extra sleep, you didn’t get anything extra done, and you feel like you missed an opportunity because you spent that hour watching football and doing something completely mundane, like unloading the dishwasher.

I don’t mean to sound like a Dana downer. I’m just saying, this is how it happens, when I’m not looking.

After the election, I’m going to get healthy.
After the election, I’m going to read again.
After the election, I’m going to go on dates with my husband.
After the election, I’m going to write a book.
After the election, we’re going to try to have a baby.

Well.
It sure seems like I have my life planned out until the midterm elections in 2014, right?

This is what I do when I’m not looking.
I am very task-oriented.
In the business – and journalism – world, this is great. I prioritize like a pro, and I have no problem bragging about how productive I can be.
But, sometimes in life – in my walk with the Lord, and my relationship with my husband – my “to do list” thinking can make me miss out on some things.

The things that you have to stop – or slow down – to enjoy.

So, yes.
That election, 44 days away – I have at least three to do lists for each day until that day.
I will continue plowing through those like a pro.
But afterwards, maybe  - just maybe – I will be able to slow down and look around.

I’m going to vote today.
That means the mythical, magical place is getting close.
Now, back to my ultimate comforter, my to-do list.


4 comments:

Becky said...

Oh, "after the election" is such a great term in my life too!! I completely understand every word of this post!!

Diane Moody said...

You had me at "pumpkin bagel with Hazelnut cream cheese. Apologies for drooling on your blog post here . . .

Dana Brown Ritter said...

Seeing you in Denver was, by far, the highlight of the 2012 Election season!!! I love you, Becky!

Dana Brown Ritter said...

No apologies necessary! Drooling is accepted, even encouraged, 'round these parts, just ask Brokaw!