Monday, July 16, 2012

Life is Good

Look at this one hydrangea bloom. It is full of life. Still hanging on in the summer heat, even though all the others have dried out an died.

I walk by this when I'm walking the dogs in the morning. Yesterday, on our way home from the pool, I finally stopped to take a picture.  I took a picture of this same bush when it was fully in bloom with lots of living flowers - blue and pink.  And that was really beautiful.

But this one is beautiful too, in kind of a different way - but kind of the same, standard kind of beautiful way, too.

I promise not to get all symbolic on you now that I'm on this writing journey. At least, not all the time anyway.

But you know what? I can relate to that hydrangea. It's surrounded by scorching heat. It's all alone.  But, somehow, it's still making it.

I read this in my devotional this morning:
"Your only hope is to look up and see the Light of My Presence shining down on you. Though the Light looks dim from your perspective, deep in the pit, those rays of hope can reach you at any depth."


Oh, do I remember that pit.
Oh, do I remember looking all around me, and feeling so alone, feeling so different, feeling so overwhelmed.  Feeling so mad at God.  The smallest little thing could make me cry. I couldn't get through a day without crying. Then, it got a little better - I could go a day but not a week without crying.

Some of you were there, then.
Some of you were reading along as I took those first steps out of the pit.

I'm out now! I'm free! His promises are true, even when they do take time to see, and especially to feel.
There are still times when I look around and see how different our life is from those around us.  But, the self pity isn't there, so it doesn't sting as much.

And, I can see that all of this is being used for good.
That makes all the difference in the world.

If the smallest things make you cry, go ahead and cry. Cry out. He is there. He can handle your doubt, your anger, your fear.  Just keep being real. Because I think if you're real, the light and the water can still get to you.

And who knows - maybe next summer you will be the one shining and growing and alive, even if you are the only one standing.

"He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.


He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD."
-PSALM 40:2-3


I highly recommend "Jesus Calling," especially if you're like me and peace is not your autopilot mode.

9 comments:

bettyC said...

I just bought the book on Kindle, thanks. When Bruce was diagnosed with ALS, I cried all the time. He was given 2-5years to live; it's been 6 years. We have been so lucky. We are so happy, it' amazing. The only problem is...I can't cry. It's been years since I've cried. There are days I wish I could cry. But most of the time, I don't care. U r right Life is good.

ConnieReadBurris said...

Great post Dana! Gotta love Jesus Calling. The message is always spot on for what I need. When I give the book as a gift, I hear the same is true for my friends. We have an awesome God!

Tamara said...

When I first saw this post I read the title as Life is God.
I think that works too. :)

Cheri said...

Love Jesus Calling. I also read a lot of Joyce Meyer and I love her. Crying is the best cleansing and the bad thing is I cry at everything!

the seed said...

So glad I came across your blog! I went through something very similar to your "pit" but mine was always a bubble. I just blogged about it a couple weeks ago: http://theseed9811.blogspot.com/2012/07/keeping-my-joy.html
I love the hydrangea simile (is that the correct word??)

I will definitely be adding you to my blog "reading list"!
God bless!

Dana Brown Ritter said...

Hello "the seed," thank you for checking us out! I will check your blog out, and I followed you on Facebook. Life is better with friends! :)

Dana Brown Ritter said...

I hope it blesses you Betty! I'm glad you and Bruce are able to have joy, despite your experiences. I hope you can cry somehow - while crying can sometimes be hard, it's cleansing, too. My best to you guys.

Dana Brown Ritter said...

We do, Connie! Bless you!

Dana Brown Ritter said...

Hey Cheri, I don't know if you saw, but I was wondering, are you on Facebook? I'd really like to share your blog on our Facebook page. Let me know! :)