Saturday, November 12, 2011

Saturday Morning Post

Well.
It feels like it's been a while since I've been here on a Saturday morning, with my coffee and my recipe magazines and my thoughts and my computer screen.
How sweet it is!

A few thoughts about yesterday.
11.11.11.
That is just crazy.  My sister loves the number 11, so I thought of her all day long.

It was Veterans Day.  I am so proud to say that both of my grandfathers, my dad and now my brother are Veterans.  I am proud of their service and sacrifice and honored to be a part of a family with such a history of military service.

I am also so proud and thankful for our Wounded Warriors that we are getting to know now, as they recover from their life changing injuries.  They are truly amazing guys!  I am speaking of Derek McConnell and Chaz Allen, specifically.

Quickly, on that - we are still making meals and delivering them to Walter Reed Bethesda pretty much every weekend.  I want to say a huge THANK YOU to those of you that have supported us with grocery store gift cards!  I am hoping to connect with more Wounded Warrior families soon, and see if I can provide them or their families with meals, too.  Jessica Allen, wife of Chaz who is one of our courageous Wounded Warrior Vets, also has some ways you can help on her blog (see links below).  Jessica is a firecracker, and a get-it-done kind of girl.  She's also a great writer, so check out their story!

You can help with household items or  care packages.

Here is a little tease.  Don't say I didn't warn you on getting some tissues.

I *love* this song! You may remember me posting about it last year.

When I first met Jessica, she said something that really stuck with me.  Anyone who has been reading this blog knows that I have a history of battling with my pride, and accepting help from others.  I don't want anyone to feel sorry for us, or for Michael.  I don't want to be anyone's hero and Michael doesn't want to be anyone's inspiration.  But, it happens.

Jessica was telling me about someone offering something to them after Chaz's injury - I don't remember what it is - but she said she was like, "Don't do this because you feel sorry for us.  Don't do this because my husband stepped on an IED and lost his legs.  Do this because you think we are awesome, and we are rocking this thing out."

I. loved. that. idea.
Don't step in and help or think we are an inspiration because you feel sorry for us.  Or because when you see us, you automatically think, "I could never do that."  Because you probably could. Love is a very powerful thing!  Step in and help or think we are cool because we are doing this.  We are rocking it out.  Offer to help or give us props because you want to join in on that energy that is simply rocking something out.

Thank you, Jessica, for opening my eyes to experiencing a challenge in that way.

2 comments:

S. J. Wells said...

I love it.

Tracy Lane said...

SHEWWWW! crying!