Tuesday, November 15, 2011

On Remembering to Laugh

We usually go to bed between 8:00 and 9:00.
But, last night, we were up late.

And, I'm so glad we were.
Because we watched the ABC News/Diane Sawyer special about Congresswoman Gabby Giffords and her husband, Mark Kelly. 

And, it was amazing.  Watch it.
It will make you laugh.
It will make you cry.
Not in that order.
You will pull for them.
You will see something that you see in yourself, even if you haven't had a tragic brain injury or other major bodily injury or physical challenge.
This is the tough stuff of love.
This is the story of love winning.
This is the love story we all want to have, without the hard part.

God bless Gabby and Mark.  I wish them a full recovery, more good days than bad, and children.  Really, really cute, healthy little children.
May they never stop laughing.
I need to remember that.
You do have to laugh, don't you? Or, you'll never make it.

This is what is set up on our bedside table right now. :(

We have our own little health challenge right now.  It's not a big deal.  Not yet, anyway.  Let's hope it stays that way.  You remember, I'm a Stager, right? This is the stuff that is staged so that I can take care of our little problem.

I would really appreciate it if this little problem understands that I have to travel to Iowa on Friday, and I have to leave my husband in someone else's care for a couple of nights, so it needs to get better, STAT, mmkay?

Too bad it doesn't work like that.  If I could patch this whole thing up and put some Neosporin on it and make it go away, I obviously would have done that a million years ago.  But, I can't.  I hate having to realize this over and over.

And, yet, I still try to control it.  I still try to heal the little things in 48 hours so I can leave and not feel guilty.  So I don't have to trust anyone else.  Because I suck at that.  I admit it.  Totally suck.

But you know what I learned a long time ago? When I was a kid?  Quitters never win.  Winners never quit.  And, just because I technically have no control over this little issue, doesn't mean I'm not going down without a fight.

It will be okay.  Don't think this is a big huge deal (this is mainly a disclaimer for our families, namely, my mom who is the biggest worrier on the planet).  It's not.  It's a tiny deal.  But, it's a deal.

If Gabby Giffords can get shot in the head and learn how to speak and talk again, we can handle this little situation.  And maybe not laugh about it, directly, but laugh, none the less.

2 comments:

Kristen Maddux said...

So glad we caught it too. Wasn't she just the dearest? Such a beautiful smile and radiated personality even with limited words.
They were quite a team before all this, and an even more amazing one now. I wish the best for them too.

Alicia Reagan said...

Laugh....always laugh. It is so healing (for the body but mostly for the soul). Love you girl! I would say more but I am getting off to watch this!:)