Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Saturday Morning Post

I had an hour to myself this morning.
Rejoicing during my 40 minutes or so of sitting here, alone with my blankey and my cup of coffee and my Bible.
I desperately needed this time with God to get my heart right!

I don't know about you, but every now and then, I have to just come to the Cross and get cleansed, again. And again. And again.

This time, it was jealousy that had crept into my heart.
Since I was a little girl, way before I knew the Lord, I've had a problem with jealousy. Comparing myself with others, looking at what they have, where they are, what they're doing and thinking my life is boring, I have nothing and I never get to do anything cool.

That is ridiculous, right?
But, it's SIN, people!

I take responsibility for this sin, truly, I do. It's my fault this got out of control. But, you know where I believe it was born? Facebook. Yep, Facebook.
And I love Facebook. I really do. It's an incredible tool for keeping in touch with people. Love it!

But, I'm going to chill on it for a bit.
Because I find myself looking at other peoples' lives and comparing my life to them and getting jealous, sinfully jealous of their lives.
Their new homes.
Their shopping extravaganzas.
Their babies.

It's not that I'm not happy for these people. They're my friends. Of course I'm happy for them!
It's just that sometimes, from here, life doesn't seem fair.
Not that it is or is supposed to be.

But, anyway. I'll be posting blog updates to Facebook still. And reading comments and messages and such. But the general, time-sucking activity of just scrolling through the changing profile pictures of people's allegedly-perfect lives? Not so much, anymore.

8:59am.
Time to go get my love out of bed.

3 comments:

Kristen Maddux said...

Thanks for saying this, Dana. I too have had to back it up on facebook the past few weeks. Too many babies being born and pregnant bellies everywhere--a big source of jealousy right now. It sure can seem like everyone's living the glamorous life.
Which is so not true.
But still, it looks that way!
Great idea to not mindlessly scroll thru updates all day.
God bless you. Looking forward to hearing more about the article on you two!

EyesofBlue said...

I know how you feel...things do look greener in other pastures, but as you said things can be made to look that way pretty easily on webpages like facebook. I do my best not to post my fat pictures:)

mella's messages said...

thanks for sharing your heart Dana. I need to do this more. I realized that my blog lately has been lots of just updates, and not really what it use to be. I have been reading old posts. It's good to look back and see how far you've come. Thanks a ton for how you have been here for me lately. You are a God-send.