Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Farm Fresh!

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a membership to Arganica Farm Club through a Groupon.

Basically, it works like this: You pay a monthly membership fee, then pay for fresh produce (and whatever else you want, but so far we've only tried the produce) and they deliver it in a wooden crate on your doorstep on Sunday mornings.

It's all fresh, local, and organic!
So, 6:00am Sunday morning, when I was taking the dogs out, THIS was on my doorstep along with my Washington Post!
Check out what was inside!!
Broccoli, lettuce, kale, lemons, potatoes, a sweet potato, brussel sprouts, carrots, tomatoes, bananas, baby bok choy, a butternut squash, a mango and a red onion. Phew! I think I got it all. I do not think we will be ordering anything this weekend, because we are still working on eating all of this stuff!
It is happily tucked in the produce drawers of my fridge, and that makes me very happy. A full fridge and a full pantry make me very happy. We are so very blessed!

I happen to think the box fits nicely on top of the fridge. Yay for that.

I am so stoked because I have a goal of totally changing the way we eat this year to a healthier, more natural, organic diet. Phase one was meat. Thanks to the Springfield Butcher, we eat almost exclusively local beef, pork and chicken now. *Note- that also came from a Groupon! Yeah!

Now, with Arganica plus local farmers markets will be opening for Spring/Summer soon (fruit!) that will complete phase two. Dairy will be next, then grains. I'm excited about these changes!

I'm also excited about learning how to cook new foods, like this baby bok choy I cooked this week.
All you do is rinse it, chop it up..
And saute it up with some olive oil and garlic. Deeelish!

1 comment:

EyesofBlue said...

I love this idea! I am always looking for ways to get great produce in the house...I think I'll look it up!