Friday, August 24, 2012

The Secret to Stress Management

Can anyone confirm for me what day it is, exactly?

Life right now feels like a blur.
Like the kind of blur you get when you're trying to take an iPhone pic out your car window when you're going 70mph down the road.

I don't know that I have ever been busier.
At least, that's the way it feels.

I'm old enough now to know myself, thank God.
So, I know when I need to slow down a little bit and manage my stress.  You know, so I don't stroke out, or be a raging you-know-what to my husband, or cry in the bathroom at work.

It involves a lot of slow, deep breathing, and lists.
Lots of lists.
I never would have imagined that at age 32, I would benefit so much from back to school sales!
I am all about compartmentalizing.

I have two jobs right now, plus this blog.

So, I keep a notebook of to-do lists for my show, called "The Brody File," (shameless plug: Today my show makes it's NATIONAL TV DEBUT!! on the ABC Family Channel. It's a weekly political show without the snooze factor... We like to think of ourselves as Meet the Press, plus a little bit of Comedy Central with a sprinkling of Jesus) I keep another notebook for all of the publicity stuff for my co-worker's new book, (another shameless plug: David Brody's first book is in stores now, it's called "The Teavangelicals" and it's all about the huge intersection of the evangelical movement and the tea party movement, and their impact on the 2012 presidential election. Michael built the website! www.theteavangelicals.com) I have a part time job right now working for his publisher, Zondervan, promoting the book. I'm calling myself DBRPR. And, I keep a third notebook for everything to do managing this blog, and keeping in contact with all of you!

I don't have notebooks for keeping my house organized or my husband taken care of. Maybe I should, though, because there is definitely dust all over my house, and I don't think my husband is going to eat a home cooked meal until after the election.

Thank God he's an easy going, pretty low maintenance quadriplegic! Ha!

Yesterday morning I woke up stressed out.
I had a huge zit on my chin, my back was killing me, and I was waking up to a stress dream.
In my dream: I woke up late, walked and fed the dogs, and when I was putting the dog food container back, the shelves in the laundry room came crashing down on me.  I heard Michael say, "Are you okay?" And from the nearness of his voice, I realized he must be right there, in the kitchen, which is impossible, because I hadn't gotten him up and dressed yet.

So right then, I realized that was a dream.  I was slightly relieved that the shelving in the laundry room had not come crashing down.  But slightly even more stressed because I was indeed running late, and I still needed to get Michael up and dressed.

This week I had one day where I completely forgot a lunch reservation I had with a friend, one night that I got three hours of sleep and today I have taken the day off to go to Maryland to get our new van!

I think it's going to be the middle of September before I have time to go to the DMV and register it though, because tomorrow I leave for the RNC in Tampa, then next week is the DNC in Charlotte, then Michael and I go to the Wounded Warrior Getaway in Maryland and then we head south for my nephew's wedding.

I think I need to make some more lists!
If posts around here are a little few and far between over the next three weeks, you know why. I will be on Facebook, though, so feel free to hop over there and say hello.

1 comment:

Cheri said...

I will be praying that God will renew your strength like the eagles! So jealous you will be at the RNC, take lots of pics. Exciting!!!!!