Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sunday Afternoon Post

I missed my weekly Saturday Morning Post yesterday, because we were out of town on our church's annual Leadership Retreat. Michael is leading a small group this semester (Tuesday nights at 7pm, going through Pastor Mark's new book, "The Circle Maker," if you're interested), so even though I no longer lead the Prayer Ministry, we were still on for the retreat.

The retreat is at this old, outdated church campground in West Virginia, about an hour and a half (theoretically) from DC.  Our church has about 300 ministry team/small group leaders, so it's a lot of people.  They pay for everything, so all we have to do is show up.

The Praise and Worship music is AMAZING. The videos the church staff put together are HILARIOUS, and the vision casting and preaching is CHALLENGING.

Michael and I reflected over the time since last year's Leadership Retreat.  WOW. What a year.
Last year, one of our church staff came to us, and asked to pray over us.  He prayed for us, then told us, simply, that he thought we should tell our story.  He didn't make a big deal over it, like it was all prophetic, or something, but take it for what it's worth.

A couple of months later, I got a message from my friend Michelle, who wanted to write an article for Gladys Magazine about us. I immediately thought about that prayer.  We shared our story.

Now, looking back on all that sharing our story has brought us over the last year, I am humbled, and excited about what God is doing in our lives, and through this little blog.  And, I'm reminded that even when we take what in the grand scheme of things, are little baby steps of obedience, God sees that, He honors that, and multiplies it.

Pastor Heather said Friday night, "Jesus can't avoid people who are desperately determined to get to Him."

That struck me.
I realized that about a year ago, I was desperate.
But, it took some time for my desperation caused me to be determined to get to Him.  I was mad at God for a while.
So glad Jesus could see straight through my anger and know that even in that season, I was desperate for Him.

I am so thankful for a church that pours into its leaders. I am so thankful for a husband who loves the Lord, and I *can't wait* to see him live up to his potential in this new ministry role.  And I'm so ready to pray through where God wants to take us over this next year.

So, there.
That's my contemplative Sunday afternoon post.
Brought to you by a very relaxed me, as I sit on my heating pad, sip Pumpkin Spice Tea, and I watch Michael fold laundry.

2 comments:

Simple Obedience said...

Sounds like a great retreat. I know you will love hosting a Bible study. Something I would love to do one day. The leader is often most lead. Thanks for sharing your story, it makes me feel more normal. Even though our circumstances are very different, I identify with struggles and frustrations and appreciate your honesty.

Dana Brown Ritter said...

Thank you so much for reading and for your support!