Saturday, December 31, 2011

Cheers to a New Year!


It’s New Year’s Eve.
I’m sitting on a heating pad, writing a blog post.
And my Michael is vaccuming and mopping.  Husband of the year.
His parents get here tomorrow for a visit.

We were going to go to a co-worker’s house for a NYE party, but I strained my back, and I’ve learned (the hard way) not to play when it comes to my back, hence the heating pad.

NYE is a natural time to be sentimental, looking back over the last year.  And, hopeful and excited looking ahead to the next year.

2011 was a good year for us.
It certainly had its challenges (lots of frustration with medical problems and equipment, lots of work travel for me, my brother at war, tight finances).
But, it’s certainly had it’s blessings as well (great opportunities at work, visits with our families, new friends and I got my picture taken with Tom Brokaw).

In many ways, 2011 wasn’t what I really expected it to be.  For me, it was mainly focused on work.  So, time devoted to ministry and friendships was largely swallowed up by that.  

As for our marriage, I think we are going into 2012 stronger than we were a year ago, and very much in love, and best of all, on the same page. So, I call that a WIN.

Last New Year’s Day, we went to Starbucks, and sketched out our goals for the year.  We fell short on a lot of them. We tried.  I'm not thinking of this so much a failure, as we are a work in progress.

We did make great strides on the goals that we set TOGETHER.  It was the things we set out to do on our own where we came up short.

Well.
There’s no “I” in TEAM.
Guess we should stick together.

As for 2012 goals – eh, last year’s goals still sound good.  Plus, this year we begin some pretty big steps to our future life that I am mildly STOKEDDDD about. :)

I have been having some very grown up Google searches lately.... things like "minivan wheelchair modification" and "daycare costs in Northern Virginia."  All of this freaks me out, but in a good way.  All of this big stuff is still a way's off.  I think it kind of freaks Michael out that I'm already googling this stuff, but hey - I'm a googler - what can I say? We have to get a new President first. So this will really be a 2013 project, but 2012 will surely have a lot of Google searches. :)

Okay, y'all.
Cheers.
I think I'm going to make that appetizer I was going to take to that NYE party.  I'm getting kind of hungry even though I did have a bowl of black eyed peas while we were watching "Waiting For Superman," and I was crying my eyes out.


1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Happy New Year you two!