Saturday, December 10, 2011

A Thank You Letter to the Internet


Dear Internet,
I have so much to thank you for this year.  For connections with special friends like Jamie, Melanie, Alicia, Erica, Heather, Amber, Melanie, Megan, Lynette, and Sib who know what this wheelchair journey is like, and what the wife/caregiver life is like.  I am forever grateful for the connections we share, the encouraging emails and texts and the funny stories we can talk about just with each other. The internet brought us all together.

I am thankful for Facebook, which has been the main vehicle for telling the stories of the Wounded Warriors we have prayed for, cooked for and gotten to know.  Like Derek, Nick, Matt, Chaz, Brian, Jessie and Jamie.  I am a better person for having prayed for you and served you.  I am forever grateful for all of your service, and your wives and moms and families for reminding me of how true love serves.

I am also thankful for the chance to reconnect with old friends from high school and college, as I traveled for work this year.  For picking up right where we left off.  I never would have been able to keep up with these people without social media.

I am thankful to all of the blog readers and Facebook friends who sent us checks and grocery store gift cards to join with us in cooking and serving the Wounded Warriors and their families.  This has been such an honor, and I couldn't have done it without your support.

I am just thinking about the role the internet has played in our lives over the past year, and I'm finding myself incredibly grateful.  It is a big part of our lives, but in a good way.  I don't know how we ever lived without it now! 

Internet, you are like water to me.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Read this post and wondered if I was the heather you mentioned.

I too am so thankful for the Internet connection. We have had some rough days lately and it's nice to know we aren't alone.

Dana Brown Ritter said...

Heather, YES! Please know you can always contact me when you have a rough day. We can (and must) stand together! danabrownritter@gmail.com