Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tuesday Morning Rambling

It’s 7:00am and it feels like mid-morning. Strange, huh?

We’re starting two hours later than normal today, because when that alarm went off at 4:00am, my body screamed NOOOO!!!!

Right now, I’m sipping my first morning cup, with a puggle snoring and a laptop fan swirling on my laptop.

Michael is in the bathroom, humming. That used to drive me crazy! He does it to help his body relax. But, I hate doing this ‘bathroom stuff,’ and I used to interpret that humming that he does as him enjoying, which only made me feel more guilty!

Now, I know, he’s just trying to calm down. That’s how he does that. Cool. I drink coffee, and write. Whatever works for you.

I just watched the Today Show open. I don’t even know the last time I’ve seen that, not just heard it. Did you know that used to be my dream job? Then, I worked about 4 years of overnights for morning television news shows. No thanks on that.

I have my dream job.

And it’s not what I expected.

But, sometimes, that’s how God works, isn’t it? His ways are higher than ours! So glad for that.

Later today, I’ll go to the White House to cover the President giving the Medal of Honor to Sgt. Leroy Petry, for bravery and gallantry in Afghanistan. He is a Ranger. I can’t help but think of my little brother who is serving in Afghanistan right now.

I’m so thankful for brave men like Sgt. Petry. But I pray every day that Sgt. Chris Brown never even has a chance to be brave in the midst of enemy fire, because I pray the enemy fire stays away from him. I wish there was more I could do. I wish I could just go online, buy him a plane ticket, and he could come home. But, instead, I collect dried fruit and nuts and canned goods and send them to him. I wish I could do more.

Today, I’ll take our two interns with me to the White House. They were born in 1991 and 1992. They are babies! It really is no fun that the interns get younger and younger and I get older and older, but I love interns! I was once one, apparently a long time ago, but it doesn’t feel like it was that long ago. And I’m still so grateful for the anchors, reporters and producers who gave me a chance, let me ride along, reviewed my writing, and gave me feedback. So, that’s what I want to do today for these young people. Plus, I can’t wait to see the look on their faces when they get on the other side of that gate at the White House, and witness one of the most moving ceremonies on the planet.

It’s going to be 100+ degrees today. But, I’m not complaining. I love Summer like nobody’s business! A few unbearably hot days are not enough to taint my love. So, I will get an iced coffee, wear flip flops until the last possible second, and smile.

No comments: