Saturday, July 2, 2011

Home Improvement, Craigslist Style!

After our week of vacation with M's family, we stopped at Ikea to "pick up a few things." This inspired me to turn our entire apartment upside down and gut everything and re-organize.

I don't do anything half way.
So, that meant almost an entire month of cleaning, organizing, taking stuff to Goodwill, and buying things on Craigslist.

Here are some of the highlights.

1. We officially have guest quarters. I'm sorry if I have posted about this before. I can't seem to remember what I put here and what I put on Facebook. So, if I'm repeating myself, oh well.
I like to go on scouting missions to Ikea, write down what I like, then stalk that item out on Craigslist, until I can find it for like half price, assembled, and not smelling like a pet store and/or a lot of international food.

We got rid of a bunch of books, etc. out of our office, moved my desk to the back corner, opposite M's desk, and made room for this futon, and a big wardrobe.

I was so proud of myself for figuring out a way to assemble this really heavy wardrobe. I also got an incredible deal on it from Craigslist. This might be the best deal I've ever gotten on there. New, this would cost more than $1,000! It's pretty much in "new" condition, and I paid only $200!! Sa-weeeet!

2. I finally found a small freezer for our apartment!
I've been searching and searching Craigslist for a freezer that is big enough for us to store extra meat and what not in, but small enough for our apartment, for under $100. I had to drive to Maryland for this one, but it fit in my SUV and it was also a steal. Now, we can save money buying in bulk and stocking up on frozen items when they're on sale, yay. Plus, M can get to stuff in this freezer, and he can't reach the freezer on top of our fridge, so that is a bonus. We had to turn our dining room table the opposite way to make room, but it works.

3. Countrifying/Beachifying our living room.
I need to take some more pictures of our living room, because this particular picture doesn't really show you the improvements. But, in this pic, you can see our new curtains, new toss pillows, and decorative stuff we've added to our living room. I'm realizing that my style is changing a bit. It's a little bit beachy, and a little bit country. Not so much modern and empty. Which is fitting, I guess. Because beachy and country is a pretty accurate description of the two of us, don't you think?

4. Creating a beautiful space on our porch.
Michael and I went to Home Depot, and he picked out a bunch of flowers for our porch. He also had a brilliant, and budget-friendly idea to elevate them, cinderblocks! I need to take some more pictures out there, too... because our flowers and plants have really blossomed! And, we've added some teak wind chimes. It really has become a beautiful space! The other day, M said a woman told him she and her daughter always have to walk by our porch so her little girl can see the flowers. That made us feel so good!

That isn't all we've done around here. It was a busy month, but very productive. And, we are so blessed to live in a space that we love. Our home is so colorful and beautiful, I love being here! I do wish this joint would clean itself, though! Oh well.

10 comments:

Drake Valentin said...

If you're low on budget and am planning to improve the home, you should give these Tankless Water Heater Reviews a go, get a heater installed as it would quickly allow changing temperature to desired state and cheaply too.

Eliza said...

Whenever you take on a home improvement task, you can go beyond making visual enhancements. Home renovation projects also provide you with the ability to increase the energy efficiency of your home. Hyde Products

Timy Tons said...

Have you ever thought about creating an e-book or guest authoring on other sites? I have a blog based upon on the same subjects you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information. I know my visitors would value your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e mail. www.summerhaus.com.sg

George said...

Hello! I just would like to give an enormous thumbs up for the great data you have here on this post. I will probably be coming again to your blog for extra soon. handyman singapore

James jones said...

I think other web site proprietors should take this web site as an model, very clean and excellent user genial style and design, let alone the content. You are an expert in this topic! ventanas pvc precios

James jones said...

Quite easily, the article is in reality the sweetest on this laudable topic. I agree with your conclusions and definitely will eagerly look forward to your approaching updates. Simply just saying thanks will certainly not simply just be sufficient, for the outstanding lucidity in your writing. I can right away grab your rss feed to stay privy of any updates. Good work and much success in your business efforts! 4mm polycarbonate sheet

Mark weins said...

Okay Eighteen Old Country Boy Living On A Farm Looking For A Great Way To Make Money Online alugal ventanas

khanabaaz said...

Thank you spending some time to talk about the following, I’m boldy a lot and even true love studying more to do with now this topic. However, if future, when you realize know-how, do you ever thoughts bringing up-to-date all your webpage that have a lot more stuff? This is useful for my family. tiler worcester park 

johanmerry said...

MyFordBenefits website Can help to Login Portal for Retirees Employee. Ford Employee Benefits Via food online login Www.MyFordBenefits.com.

Eliaz Beth said...

You’ve got some interesting points in this article. I would have never considered any of these if I didn’t come across this. Thanks!. website