Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Phew! What a Relief

To everyone who prayed for us: Thank you. I promise I did not mean to over-dramatize. If you know me, you know me :) And if you don't, well, you will get to know me.

Michael and I went down to UVA Tuesday for the big appointment.

I can report to you that it went very well, indeed. The best part, in my opinion, was meeting with a Urologist who looks at things through the lens of Neurology. He really knows his stuff! He has extensive experience working with people with Spinal Cord Injuries, so he "spoke the language."

I was uber-impressed with things like "autonomic dysreflexia" and "C 5/6" rolling off his tongue. So comforting to know for a fact that the doctor who we're talking to knows more about what is going on than we could find ourselves on Google.

The bottom line is this. This doctor said that M can expect to get a few UTIs a year, and that's normal. Just a couple isn't a big deal. So, he said we are doing a good job!! He explained to us in a way that we could totally understand why these infections keep popping up, and for now at least, nothing changes in our daily routine.

We'll go back down to UVA in September for a few more tests, but for now, life as it is, goes on.

So, after all my stressing out, the lowlight of the entire day (for me) was just getting peed on, a very small amount, in the doctor's office. And the highlights were chocolate frozen yogurt, and an unplanned stop to see a couple we adore, and don't see enough.

Thanks for your prayers.

1 comment:

Kristen Maddux said...

Great news. The build-up for medical appointments is the worst part! ICK! Glad to hear you all are in such good hands. Isn't it comforting when a doctor is totally unphased by your situation--like he sees it all the time, no big deal? I've been known to want to give the guy a great big hug when the appointment's over ;)