Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Through His Eyes

Sunrise one morning as I drove in to work

There's certainly one part of marriage that can feel a bit.. hmm.. shall we say, encroaching? I mean, there's this other person always up in your business. Right there when you wake up, right there when you go to bed. There's no place to hide your 'dirty laundry' LITERALLY! They even significantly contribute to your amount of dirty laundry!

Michael and I certainly do our fair share of getting on each others' nerves. My nagging to his singing made up songs. His forgetting to pick something up to my pouring out his drink and putting it in the dishwasher before he's done with it.

But one of the great, beautiful things about being married is the chance to see the world through someone else's eyes. M and I see things quite differently. I tend to look at things way ahead, or in the rear view mirror. But he takes it all in. He picks the berries, smells the flowers, takes breaks, naps, and appreciates everything. I, on the other hand, am always in some sort of made up competition, even if it's with myself, and I'm always trying to beat the clock.

Anyway... the point is, seeing things through Michael's eyes has been, wait for it.... a blessing. Yep. It really has. I notice all kinds of things I never would have noticed before.

Like sunrises. Sunsets I always embraced, but sunrises are new, like this one I noticed as I ate breakfast at Panera one day, and I got up and walked outside to take a picture.

And this city water reservoir in DC I came upon because I was lost in a neighborhood.

No comments: