Monday, September 13, 2010

ONE YEAR AGO...

These two crazy kids....
got a marriage license...
walked down an aisle...
... and GOT MARRIED.

In some ways, I feel like we just got married yesterday. Then, there is another part of me that can't even remember what it was like to be single.

I can't really sum up our first year in one word. Wonderful? yes. Hard? yes, that too. Truthfully, it was one of the hardest years of my life. Not because our marriage is difficult, or bad or any of that. But the adjustments have been such a challenge. We didn't live together before we got married. We didn't even live in the same state! Or time zone, for that matter. So, there was a lot of "getting to know you" and figuring out each others' expectations.

Then, there's the whole disability thing. Michael is used to living with his disability. I was not. I should say "am not," because there is so much of me that is still adjusting. It has been way harder than I ever imagined. It's torture to see someone you love so much struggle and be vulnerable. I would fix it all in a second, if I could. Just like he would fix anything he could to make my life easier.

But, you know what? This is us. All of this. Michael wouldn't be the person he is today if he weren't in that wheelchair. And as much as I hate handicapped parking spots, and making sure elevators work, and having to help with the not-so-glamorous stuff, this is our life. And it is uniquely ours.

I was so ready to start this 2nd year. I spent too much time that first year letting my heart be broken by all of the challenges and being jealous of having to come in second to the "third person" in our marriage. Way too many tears and tantrums.

This next year, and hopefully each one following I hope to rise above all of that, lean into God's strength that He promises when we're weak, and embrace this life that is uniquely ours, and all it has to offer.

Because there are so many treasures. So many inside jokes, and laughs and joys. "Love Like This" is hard, but it's so worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dana, you guys are seriously a beautiful couple. I don't know either of you very well, but I honestly feel that you were made for each other. Something when I see you both, just feels really right. I want you to also know, I am not mushy like this, nor have I ever said such a thing to anyone else. I really mean it.

I think there is a special place in heaven for you, for being such a committed wife and helping Mike where he is unable to help himself. I went on one date with a guy in a wheelchair, and was overwhelmed by what he had to go through, and what I had to go through just to go to a movie, or eat dinner alongside him! --but make no mistake-- you are a lucky girl to have Mike too! I'm sure you already know this. I can tell that he loves you so stinking much its almost sickening ;)

God bless your marriage, hang in there through the hard times!

This is Sheri Roman by the way.. stalking your blog.. :)