Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Hanging with Will & Jamie

I've been meaning to post about this for weeks. Now that I have the time, I'm actually going to do it! A few weeks ago, I finally got to meet a woman in person who I've come to know through the internet. The beautiful Jamie Goodwin. Jamie and I are blog friends. We've talked about the whole wheelchair thing a few times and have a special connection because of it. Jamie has been paralyzed since she was a teenager. She and her husband, Will, experience some of the same joys and frustrations as Michael and I in this life that is love, and marriage, and disability. The Goodwins were in town for the Glenn Beck rally, and we met up with them the night before to scope out the scene on the National Mall for their trip the next day.
We met up at the Smithsonian Metro (outside the elevator, naturally) and walked/strolled together all the way down to the Lincoln Memorial. We hit it off and enjoyed sharing "war stories" on the metro on the way home for us and back to the hotel for them. I was really encouraged by our visit with them. Will and Jamie have been married for more than 10 years, and I was struck by how effortless it all seemed for them. Especially Will. I suppose I was really keeping an eye on his reactions because we kind of play the same role. We're the ones not in wheelchairs. Will was just effortless. He held Jamie's hand and pulled her in her chair as they strolled together. He really opened up, chuckling at times, telling funny wheelchair/paralyzed related stories.
I loved it. I want to be like that. Effortless. We're only a year into this. So, there's hope yet! Right now, when one of those "war stories" happens for us... I tend to hyperventilate at the time, then about 15-16 hours later, I do find it funny. I'm hoping to improve that time!

No comments: