Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A lot to learn...

Hi, friends! So, as you can see from the plethora of food pictures on this blog, I am quite into cooking! This post is to let you in on a little secret... I'm not perfect! As if my experience week before last about how we were reduced to eating Hamburger Helper weren't bad enough... I have a couple of updates for you.
1. I do not know how to make a roux. I was following this recipe last weekend to make Chicken & Sausage Gumbo. I had all 3,000 of the ingredients perfectly laid out on the counter, ready to go... when I started mixing my flour in my oil... and ended up with a substance that looked like bisquick. I was crazy nervous, googling pictures of roux, and not seeing anything that I had going on in my stock pot, which may I mention, I couldn't even STIR because it was so thick. So, what did I do? I ADDED A STICK OF BUTTER. Yeah, Paula Deen would be proud. Too bad... several steps later in the recipe... I saw that I was to add TWO CARTONS of Chicken Stock... so... yeah... we ended up with what was more like Gumbo soup than real gumbo.

2. I do not know how to freeze and thaw bread dough. So, I was trying to be all frugal/practical/awesome and I froze a loaf of bread dough to bake this past weekend. I followed the instructions that came up in my Google search, but my dough didn't appear to rise all the way... and it kind of looks like it got sick on itself. That's because I didn't wrap it tightly enough, and it kind of spilled out of the plastic wrap.. So, yeah...

I am happy to report, however, that both were/are very tasty!

I was able to redeem myself this weekend with Paula Deen's Chicken Spaghetti. I thought I'd be able to link to it, but I got it from her magazine, which I guess they don't post online. I guess that makes sense if they're trying to get you to buy the magazine.

That's pretty much what we've been living off of for the past two weeks! I am literally finishing up the Chicken Spaghetti for lunch today. Yummy! Tonight, Salmon. I don't know how, but I'll come up with something! :)

2 comments:

Rebecca (Sam's wife) said...

i want to try the chicken spaghetti recipe!!!

Diane Moody said...

Only way to learn how to cook is to mess up a few recipes along the way! Have you seen Julie & Julia? LOVE that movie! And for the record, our first year of marriage, I accidentally cooked my cookbook! Had it open, standing, leaning against the back of my stove and apparently the oven vent overheated it. I figured it was a sign from God. HA!

Hey, I'm blogging now too! Check me out sometime: http://dianemoody.blogspot.com/

Always enjoy your posts!