Monday, October 19, 2009

You say it's your birthday...

it's my birthday, too!


Yep! I'm the big 3-0!!


It's nowhere near as big of a deal and/or as scary as I thought it would be to be 30.  I feel great.  I'm so 100% happy in every area of my life right now.  Bring on the next 30 years!  But not too fast!! :)


So.. math majors... this means I was born in 1979.


According to my friend Wikipedia, we have 1979 to thank for the following things, along with Yours Truly of course!


The Steelers won the Superbowl.


The Pirates won the World Series. (What a great year for Pittsburgh!)


The Happy Meal was born.


The Iran Hostage Crisis dominated the news.


China implemented the "one child" policy.


Mother Teresa won the Nobel Peace Prize.


Also -- on October 19th:


1781 - Cornwallis surrendered to George Washington at Yorktown (yay American Revolution!)


1987 - Black Monday


Also, it's Michael Steele's birthday today (he's the current chairman of the GOP). What Up, my man?  :)


History and facts are fun.  Dorky? Yes.  Moving on...


Oh, wait - my mom says that 1979 was also the year the Susan B. Anthony was born, "the year of the child."  You know it!!


My Mom and Dave flew in for the weekend!  It was so great to see them, and although it was a very short visit, we had such a great time!  Too bad the weather was nasty, so my little drive-thru DC tourist-mobile plan wasn't all that great.  But, we had a really fun trip to the mall and dinner at the CHEESECAKE FACTORY!! One of my all-time favorite restaurants.  (Michael and I still have pasta to eat from the leftovers!)


October09 019


October09 018 Pecan Pumpkin Cheesecake?  Yesss!! the waiter described it as "basically a piece of pecan pie with pumpkin cheesecake on top of it."  He had me at "basically..."


Oh, wow! My tastebuds are so overstimulated with sweet tastes right now!  Yesterday, I baked my first cake from scratch!  It was just a yellow cake with chocolate frosting (the frosting was from a can).  My cake is a little lopsided, a little crunchy on the sides, but it's not bad, especially for a first effort!  We totally ate cake and ice cream for breakfast - that made me feel like a 7 year old instead of a 30 year old.  Good stuff!!


I'm happy to report that my birthday gift loot has been pretty sweet as well!  I got the perfect bag for work (a cute and functional brown Kenneth Cole bag that I can hang across).  The new Michael Buble CD!! I can't wait to hear it when I get home tonight.  My mom hooked me up with their wonderful trip to visit us (my favorite thing of all!) and a cute blue sweater, a couple of shirts from H&M, and the perfect black trench coat!  And cash on top of that!! I'm starting to think I'm special or something!


And I talked to Ann on the phone!!! It was so great, I miss you soo much Ann!
 
 



1 comment:

ann said...

I miss you a ton too Dana! I am just finally reading some of your blog posts-sorry. you weren't writing for a while so I stopped reading but I see that you are back on again and I had a lot of catching up to do :) ha ha!! It sounds like you had a great birthday and glad to hear that you got some new clothes to fit your new figure :)