Saturday, June 2, 2012

Saturday Morning Post: Guilt, It's What's For Dinner

Did I really not post anything to this little blog this week?
I swear I did, in my head.

Well, hello there friends.
It's Saturday morning and it's EARLY Saturday morning, which is even better - because the earlier I get up, the more of this I get to soak in.
I love the morning sunlight.

Things are so good right now.  Michael is working and growing and learning so much, and I'm so proud of him.  I'm adjusting to not being the only big deal around here, but I'm happy to do that. :)

Work was complete crazypants this week. My correspondent's book is about to come out later this week, so I am working triple-time to prepare extra shows for when we are traveling.  It is crazy busy.  Good busy. I am blessed. 

I feel so stretched. Professionally, as I said, I was working triple time this week.  So, at home, I felt like a failure. Last night (Friday), I finally cooked the dinner I had planned... for Tuesday. 

I am not the biggest fan of plans not panning out as I want them to, but I can handle it. 

What I hate is that feeling of caving in under everything.  I don't know about y'all, but when I don't "do it all," I feel guilty.  Tuesday night we had leftovers, which didn't feel that bad. Wednesday, I ordered Papa John's. Thursday, I ate leftover pizza, but M had already eaten his leftover pizza for lunch (a.k.a. I didn't make him a lunch that morning) so he threw together some other leftovers and frozen veggies, and ate that, while I fell asleep on the couch at 7:30pm.

Sigh.  So. I was a heck of a television news producer this week... and a terrible cook.  I suppose there are worse things.

I know how to use a crock pot and cook freezer meals, but at the point I was at by Thursday night, I hadn't done all of that, and I was just stuck because of my poor planning.  Meanwhile, Michael was, of course, happy as a peach to eat frozen vegetables in Papa John's sauce for dinner.

Sometimes Mr. Contentment makes me sick.  But sometimes, that never-ending grace is exactly what I need.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy following your blog!

Also been following a blog called Dinner A Love Story. Great ideas on how to get dinner on the table in minimal time. Our favorite so far has been the recipe for Lemony Chicken.

Anonymous said...

Post when you can, when it is not a burden...and know that we're always excited to read what you write! :)

-ms

Katie said...

Once again we're on the same wavelength... Yesterday, sensing my exhaustion in the morning, Bryce volunteered to not eat again until dinner. Because that's what Mr. Contentments do. And I should have recognized the gesture, but instead I got all crankipants and gave him a lecture about being a martyr, because Lord knows I could eat all day, everyday... and I'm irrationally jealous of his thin legs. Sigh ;) Love y'all.

Dana Brown Ritter said...

"I'm irrationally jealous of his thin legs." HAHA Katie, I almost died laughing at that because that's just the kind of thought that would go through my head. I love you.