Monday, December 15, 2008

I bet those shoes end up on Ebay

By now, you've probably seen the video of an Iraqi reporter throwing his shoes at President Bush.  If you haven't, welcome back to the world.  You really shouldn't go more than 24 hours without turning on a TV or a computer, it's just not healthy.


The shoes are being held as evidence right now.  I bet they end up on Ebay where they will undoubtedly be the most expensive, dusty, size 10 Iraqi shoes, ever. 


On Air Force One on his way from Iraq to Afghanistan, President Bush took questions from reporters.  I can't resist copying and pasting part of that exchange because it is just so classic President Bush and represents exactly why I will miss covering him.  He is such a hoot!


Okay, here you go:


THE PRESIDENT: Okay, my opening statement: I didn't know what the guy said, but I saw his sole. (Laughter.) You were more concerned than I was. I was watching your faces.

Q I saw something black and round go by my face.

Q Just to see that --

THE PRESIDENT: -- his first -- other than shoes. (Laughter.)

Q -- to duck. (Laughter.)

THE PRESIDENT: I'm pretty good at ducking, as most of you will know --

Q You were quick.

Q -- ducking --

THE PRESIDENT: I'm talking about ducking your questions. (Laughter.)

Q So you weren't a lame duck. (Moans and groans.)


And later on.... this:


Q What's your assessment of how Pakistan is doing on that front? Are they --

THE PRESIDENT: Well, first of all, the first question is, is there a determination -- (noise on the plane) -- the other shoe just dropped. (Laughter.) Look, I'm going to be thinking of shoe jokes for a long time. (Laughter.)

Q -- (inaudible) --

THE PRESIDENT: Are you?

Q Yes.

THE PRESIDENT: I haven't heard any good ones yet.



No comments: