Friday, August 31, 2007

New Kid at the White House

WhitehouseYesterday I went to my first White House press briefing.  It is etched in my memory, in detail.  I still can't even believe I was there.



You can watch the briefing here.



Okay, so of course I got there way early - like you do on the first day of school.  Thankfully, I had cute hair.  :)  Moments after I walked in - looking like a lost little kid - they announced the briefing was being delayed. Great. What do I do? There are people all around me who look like they've been there forever, and I can feel them laughing internally at me.  I know they could just tell I'd never been before.



So, a nice guy from TIME shows me where I can sit, and then shows me where the vending machines are.  I got a Diet Coke because I didn't have anything better to do.  I stood in the break room which was full of photographers who were eating and watching movies on their portable DVD players.  Yeah, just stood there. At one point I introduced myself to the group and told them it was my first briefing (like they didn't already know).  Then a nice guy from CNN came and told me he found a place for me to sit.  So, then I'm sitting there - at the LA Times computer, with like an hour to kill. So, I text messaged my sister a few times, called a friend, and actually wrote in a journal.



Then, around the corner comes my old co-worker, Patty!! Yay!! I was SO happy to see her, I can't even tell you!  So Patty gave me a giant hug and then showed me all around the place and introduced me to everyone - it was the best thing ever!  I kept thinking, every time I was shaking someone's hand: a) I can't believe I'm shaking said person's hand.  b) in the White House c) NOT on a field trip.



So, they gave the 2 minute warning over the intercom... Patty went back to her little NBC News cubicle, and I was on my own. IN THE BRIEFING ROOM. 4th row back, on the end.  I opened up my little notebook and clicked my pen ready.   Out comes Tony Snow and company and I felt my mouth hit the floor, I'm pretty sure.  Truth is, I hardly wrote a note.  I was just in awe.



It was so amazing.  I can't wait to go back.



Things to do next time:



-Speak to Helen Thomas and get her to sign my copy of her book



-Take my camera and get a cheesy photo of myself at the podium



-Ask a question (well, maybe not next time, but some time in the future!)



I'm such a dork but I don't care!!



In other news... Ann is coming to visit me this weekend and I can't wait!



And, seriously? It's been 10 years since Princess Diana died? Man, I'm getting old...



3 comments:

Cameron said...

Congratulations, Dana! When I heard Tony Snow was stepping down, my first thought (aside from "Poor Cousin Tony!" - long story, grandma's maiden name, yada yada) was how you were looking so forward to working with him, so to speak. Glad your first day went well. :) I'll have to keep my eyes open for you on the news. ;)

Andrew Stockey said...

What? You didn't grab a ash tray or commemorative towel while you are at the White House? What's up with that?
Hey, congrats on going to your first White House briefing - and consider yourself lucky. You should have been there before the renovation this summer. My living room was bigger.
Miss you lots - and Kelly says "hi"!

Gretchen said...

Hi! I am stalking you.
I a)Am jealous of your bomb job, but not so jealous that I am not happy for you and excited that you get geeked out. b)Love the new hair do. c)Know that you spent recent time with my peeps b/c you are outlining.