Saturday, December 17, 2005

blast from the past

Today I got a phone call out of the blue.  It was my ex-boyfriend.  Not the recent one, the original.  My first love... also my first real ex-boyfriend.  We talked for about 45 minutes.  He's engaged to some medical student who I'm sure is beautiful.  But that's beside the point.  After the conversation, I was refreshed.  I think today he crossed over from the file of "ex-boyfriend" to "old friend."  You know what I'm talking about... the friends you have that you can just pick up where you left off... no matter how much time has passed.  They're the same people that know you.  Today talking to Chris helped me remember me.  Yeah, I've grown up a lot since then... so has he.  But he knows me.  It was refreshing to be able to just talk and laugh and know that he's going to get my message... without me having to explain anything, or make excuses for anything.  I am thankful for Chris.  Yeah, 4 years ago at this time, I was heartbroken.  But it's all good now and I can be thankful for things we shared like day trips to New York City and our first jobs in the real world.  And there are also the things he introduced me to that still remain part of who I am... like Starbucks' Caramel Macchiatos, Louie Giglio, and post-it notes. 



1 comment:

Gretchen said...

You are a muhc better person then me. I usually dwell and ruin anything that looks like it might be friendship.