Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Day We Shopped Until He Dropped

This Spring was a long time coming.

A few weeks ago, in an attempt to fake ourselves out that Spring would, in fact, one day come, we went on a shopping trip to get some new, colorful Spring clothes for Michael.

We parked outside of what we thought was an Old Navy, but is actually an Old Navy under construction. We decided we were up for the exercise, so we walked through the mall to Target, and a few other stores.

By the end of the shopping trip, Michael was loaded down as pictured above, full pack-mule style.

He offers to do this, by the way. This is not quad husband abuse.

It's important to note that those Target bags hanging on the back of his chair were LOADED down with heavy things like laundry detergent, dishwashing detergent, trail mix, orange juice...

Okay.
So, we stroll through the mall like this, totally parade style with people parting ways to stare at us like we're the Disney light parade or something. I was just waiting for small children to expect us to throw candy.

I was carrying stuff, too, just so you know. But not this much. :)

We get to the van.
I open it up.
The ramp deploys.

As I'm opening up the passenger door, Michael is wheeling himself up the ramp.

Then... ever so not-panicky... he says, "Um...."
And I look over.
And I see him, FALLING BACKWARDS but really, really slowly.

So, I walk behind him, and very slowly, his head plops down in my chest, and like the Sumo wrestler that I currently am, I muscled Michael, the wheelchair, and all of that heavy stuff that caused him to fall backwards so easily, upright.

I'm thinking it was about 240 lbs. I'm no math whiz, but it was a lot. I'm also clearly no physics whiz either!

There was a couple driving by in a mini-van, just looking.
Like, "something's not right here..."

I was so proud of myself that I didn't have to ask for help! I get a rush out of that. It's not healthy.

I got Michael tied down, started to drive away, and then I started shaking, a little.

Glad he didn't hit his head.

I have no idea how he fell so slowly and not-dramatically. Full Michael style.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Then there are days when youre not there to catch him.... Looked up and saw my boyfriend in the front yard the other day.. On the ground... Dog circling him ( yea Maynard you knocked poppy down)... Stay calm... I just walked out and layed down beside him in the grass... When he starts laughing at me I know hes ok.. Of course thats when the neighbor comes home and finds us.....