Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Giving Up Facebook for Lent


I am not Catholic, so Lent is not something I am very used to.  I'm a good old Baptist girl, all we do is indulge!

But, seriously.  For the past several years, I have observed (or at least, made an effort to observe) Lent because I have learned that there is so much that is good about this season.  Getting rid of some fat.  Adding something good and meaningful.

Leaning in, and listening a little closer to what God is saying to you and doing in your life.

I have given up Diet Coke before.  I like it, but I can go without it.  One year I fasted shopping for clothes. (My recent dive into frugality has pretty much killed that, so it's not much of an issue anymore)  Another time I gave up complaining.  I think that was the hardest, and I definitely didn't make it 100%.

I want to fast something that is really a big part of my life, so that I can get the most out of the season.  My husband is a big part of my life.  So are the pets.  So is my job.  And politics.  And coffee.  And Facebook.

Fasting from my husband, pets and coffee is not an option.  Neither is fasting my job or politics. So, I'm going with Facebook.

You know what? I am addicted.  Hi, my name is Dana, and I'm a Facebook addict.  I check it all the time.  Not a little red notification goes by that I don't check.  I have a very "addictive" personality.  I am usually all in or all out on anything.

I have known for some time that I'm addicted to Facebook and I need to dial it back.  So, I'll see you on Facebook, on Easter.  Blog posts are set up to automatically publish to my Facebook page and the blog's Facebook page.  So that's probably how you got to this post in the first place.

I will follow up with certain messages that come through Facebook.  Like if one of you awesome blog readers contacts me, or if it's something for my work Facebook page.  But my time-killing, I wonder who has posted a new picture of this or that, or whatever in the last 30 seconds Facebooking is going to cease for the next 40 days.

So.
Wish me well! Pray for me to learn something new, and press into the Lord during this time.  I have decided when I have the urge to look at Facebook, I'm going to read through the Gospels.  I started with John.  It's 7:45pm on the first day of my fast, and I'm on John 3.  So, this should not be a problem.

Cheers Facebook friends.

*I think I just wrote the word "Facebook" about 47 times in this post.  See?  Problem.

3 comments:

Tamara said...

I fasted Facebook last year for Lent. It was awesome! :) A great cleanse!

I'm not Catholic either, but I love Lent. How can being self-reflective for a month or so be a bad thing? And keeping ourselves in line with one more thing the Savior did? Sounds like a good idea to me!
This year I'm taking a different approach for Lent. Instead of cutting stuff out, I'm adding stuff IN: drinking water, getting outside, and working out. I even signed up for a one-month boot camp. I've felt so lazy and think my muscles and my brain have atrophied. So for me it's less screen time and more sunshine. :)

Dana Brown Ritter said...

Great goal, Tamara! Love it!

Anonymous said...

I have just found this blog and already a huge fan. I feel I am in a similar position too, also newlyweds ish and christians from London UK. I have also given up facebook for lent. I cannot tell you how much I feel freed inside! i have so much time to love and to live life! thank you for the great idea of reading through the Gospels whenever I have the urge to look at my news feed x