Friday, August 19, 2011

A Strong Marriage & Lean Cuisine

We've never done this before.
But the other night, for dinner, we ate three different kinds of frozen meals for dinner.

It started that morning.
I was exhausted getting Michael ready in the morning.
I was planning to put chicken in the crock pot, but while I was helping him get dressed, Michael said, "When you get home, let's just eat Lean Cuisines, and get in bed early."

Sometimes I get all territorial when he suggests meals.
Like, back away from the kitchen, buddy! I provide you with good, home cooked meals, don't go making any suggestions or anything! :) Control freak, much?

But, this idea, I was totally down with.

So, I got home from work, asked him which meal he wanted, and he told me to heat up a few.
Which was easy, since we have two microwaves.



I split the three meals: Tuna Noodle Gratin, Parmasean Crusted Fish, and Meat Lasagna. I made garlic bread out of one random hamburger bun we had in the bread basket, and bam: dinner. Served on a paper plate, to top it all off.

And we ate it, and watched Jeopardy.
In all our boring marriedness.

In the last week, it feels like we have been inundated with news of marriages of people we love crumbling. It's a reminder to me that marriage, much like life, is vulnerable, fragile and easily threatened.

We're still newlyweds. Our 2nd anniversary is in a couple of weeks. So, our marriage is still young.
But, I don't take for granted that we can split three frozen meals and a hamburger bun in front of Teen Jeopardy, and love it. Every bite, and every moment.

It was actually fun!
Different.
It felt rebellious.
Like I said, boring marriedness.
And I love it.

I love my husband.
And I still really like him.
And I'm so thankful for both of those.

1 comment:

Diane Moody said...

Hey, from a couple who's been married 30 years and STILL looks forward to our Tuesday night buy-one-get-one-free burger night at Sonic dates - you're on the right track! It's the little things. SO important! Loved your post!