Friday, December 7, 2012

Talking to My Old Self

Dana Brown, January 2006
Have any of you ever thought about how neat it would be to be able to go back in time and interview a younger version of yourself?

Probably not.
Because only people like me, journalists, use words like "interview" while the rest of you would have phrased that question like this:

Have any of you ever wondered what it would be like to go back in time and talk to a younger version of yourself?

Interview.
Talk.
Anyway.
You know what I mean.

This blog has been quiet all week.
It's not because I'm so busy in life.
Life really isn't all that busy.

Sure, there was a week of work, and that little national TV show I produce and all.
And there was the commuting, and cooking and all that.
There was not the gym.
Oops.

But really, honestly, my mind has been overrun with possibilities this week.
Every extra second I've had has been occupied with a lot of mental exercise.
I'm not at a position to share details.

It's nothing bad!
It's not a baby.
It's just that I'm old enough and mature enough now to not go there publicly, until it's the right time.

I have been trying to talk to the younger version of myself.
I need to hear from her.
Her experiences are valuable input for me right now as I ponder.

Time and space have a way of changing what was reality.
In a good way, of course!
Wounds are healed, experiences are romanticized, because they move from the "current experience" file in our brain - to the - "awww, those were good times" file.
You know what I mean?

Anyway.
I feel like I'm chasing the years of my life.
And having coffee with 26 year old Dana Brown.
She's interesting.
She's talented, and going places, and wittty.
But she definitely didn't know it all!

Having a journal and a blog really helps with going back in time and interviewing yourself.
What a gift.

I have a good memory.
But, there is so much I wouldn't remember if I hadn't written it down.


No comments: