Friday, November 16, 2012

Why Don't You Stay?

I'm at Panera right now, choking down a cinnamon crunch bagel with Hazelnut coffee. Oh, how I have come to love this time when Michael is getting up with the help of his aide, and I am free to do this.  I can't believe I resisted it for so long.

I missed Five Minute Friday last week. The prompt last week was "quiet" and I was, well, quiet!


This week it's: STAY.

GO.
I counted down the days to the Election like I counted down the days to my wedding.
I could tell you when there were 52, 47, 30, 14 and 3.
I was so eager to get my life back.
But at the same time, I was also grateful for the incredible opportunity of traveling our great nation, seeing Presidential candidates up close and personal, and working with a great team of people to inform our viewers about these candidates, their policies, and what was going on in the political world.
By the end - I was done. Exhausted. Tired of even my favorite people. I focused on that countdown to "after the election," what was next - whatever that was.

I had big plans for this time. Reconnect with friends, magic erase my walls, go to the gym, doctor, dentist, get the oil changed in our vehicles, go back to church, spend more time here on the blog, writing, and connecting with all of you. The truth is, for the last week since the election, I've felt numb. Blank.

Maybe I am just so tired that it's going to take time for that after-the-election productive juice to kick in.
But, I've been getting up early, going to work, taking care of the house and my husband, and in a lot of ways it doesn't feel like anything has slowed down.

It has stayed the same.

A major part of my anticipation was looking forward to how my life would change after the election. In big ways. I can't share details with you yet. I'm not pregnant, don't go starting to wonder that.

But I do know that I am blessed and highly favored.
I don't know what's next.

For now, I will stay right here, and embrace the now and all that it has to offer. I have to be really intentional about that, or I will live in the middle of dreams and plans for the future, and I'll miss the now.

I'm thankful I'm married to Mr. Smell-the-Roses. I zoom by roses so fast, I don't even see them. I think I'll stay.

STOP.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing with 5 Minute Friday today. I'm a rush past the roses kind of person too. My husband is also the opposite. The best analagy I can give is in the grocery store. I pick up what I need and keep moving. My husband stops and reads the lables, smells the fruit, etc. I'm at the back of the store and he's still in produce. It irritates me at times, but still, He is teaching me to slow down and enjoy the things in life that I will not get back if I keep running past them. Blessings to you and your family as we both stop and take a moment to stay where God would have us and just enjoy the moment!

Cheri said...

It's called post election stress syndrome, i had it:) I think our husbands are so thankful for all the things we take for granted that God put us together for a reason. I think all we can do now is enjoy one day at a time.

R. Molder said...

I think of the times in my life when I could wait to have a moment to breath and get to my huge to-do list only to find myself wiped out. I think our bodies and minds need time to rest before we can really kick back into gear! Praying you get all the rest you need this week!!!

WICK said...

It's definitely a great season to be reminded to breathe a little slower...good reminder. :)

Jess said...

Sorry your life has not slowed down as you had planned. I felt the same way when I came home from Allume (where I got to meet you!). Even though I have cut things out of my life, it seems as though there is always something that can and will take the place of the activities that were removed.

I hope that as time goes on you will recuperate from the election a little bit more! Maybe pick a couple of things from your list that you really want to do this week, and hey, you can already check off "spend more time here on the blog, writing, and connecting with all of you". Hang in there.

Diane Moody said...

You had me at "magic eraser my walls." Wait. No, I'll be honest. You had me at the cinnamon crunch bagel. Or maybe it was the hazelnut coffee . . .

Seriously, I can't imagine what it's been like for you, being "there" in the middle of the election. It was hard enough on the rest of us! But hang in there. The hint of change in the air??? Keep us posted! Praying for you all!

And PLEASE apologize to your sweet Michael for a ridiculously belated birthday wish. I'm in deadline mode on my new book and only now coming up for air.

Love you guys. Have a BLESSED Thanksgiving next week!
Diane

Coffee Mom said...

Enjoy those roses and your man and this moment! (P.S. You helped inspire me to join in FMF for the first time!)