Thursday, November 1, 2012

Computer Grief

This blog post is brought to you by Starbucks. And iPad. And a Pumpkin Spice Latte.
I've said before that there are few things in life that a Pumpkin Spice Latte can't fix. And if a latte can't fix it, it will surely help you.

So, I drink.

On my way home from Allume Saturday night, my MacBook had a very unfortunate encounter with my water bottle.

Camelbak bottles are spill proof. That is, UNLESS the top is broken.
Trust me.

I've been separated from all of the data on my hard drive for almost a week. It's been quite traumatic for me. I knew my life was on the computer, but to be forced to face this reality like this has been eye-opening.

I'm pathetic.

But, I am who I am.

I cried in my SUV, just now.
Over a computer.

There are a couple of reasons this is stupid.

1. Hurricane Sandy. People have lost homes and businesses and some have even lost their lives because of this horrible storm. Water can do a lot more damage than ruining a computer. I'm trying to remind myself that while it feels like my life was washed away, it really wasn't.

2. My hard drive is okay. So, all of my data will be recovered. I will not have MY own computer in my hands before Election Day like I had hoped, and I just need to come to terms with that. I will get a loaner. I have an iPad. I have options.

Dear Dana, take a deep breath - and suck it up.

I mentioned earlier that I'm at Starbucks.
That's to save my marriage.

Because while it isn't my husband's fault that I spilled water on my MacBook, I can't seem to stop getting frustrated with him over the stupidest little things.

Yesterday, it was soup. Specifically, the leftover soup he ate for lunch that I was planning on serving for dinner.
The day before that, it was cords. I feel like they are spewing out of every outlet in our house! I am a chronic cord-hider.
Today, it was oatmeal packet wrappers. The ones he should have put in the recycling bin after he made his oatmeal and ate it, but didn't, so I had to throw them away when I got home.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only adult living in our house. I used to feel this way all the time. Back when I felt sorry for myself, and kept my eyes focused on myself and did not intentionally respect my husband for the MAN and HUSBAND that he is. Even if I do have to clean up after him.

Now, I know when I feel that way, the soup or oatmeal packets or whatever is the "problem," is not the real problem. My attitude is.

So, here I am at Starbucks - not being mean to the man I love and respect.
I'm here learning how to blog on my iPad, sipping my PSL, and dealing with my computer grief.

Tell me I'm not the only one who has to talk herself down from the ledge and leave her husband for a little bit so that she's not unnecessarily mean or hurtful to him.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

gentrier said...

My first piece of advice is one that Matt often gives me:

1. it is not necessary to belittle your problems because others have "bigger problems". The loss of your computer is truly upsetting to you. And that is okay. You are not treating it as if it were worse or equal to the problems of others.

2. As if you didn't know this or could not discern it: I too, am a chronic cord hider.. I am also a chronic outlet hider. Furniture or knickknack in front of every one I can.

3. I cannot stand cleaning up after Matt. There are multiple layers to this. Number one, you and I have to Accept that not everyone is as OCD as we are. Number two, due to the nature of our husbands relying on others for help for so many years, They tend to forget they are still capable of some small tasks. Number three, just as you and I can never truly know what it is like to be in their shoes, they can never truly know how exhausted we are and how much we expect them to do everything that they can for themselves.

Janice said...

Love this post and even more so, I love the advice that gentrier gave to you! Perfect....especially the last sentence! lol

P.S....there is nothing a pumpkin spice latte cannot fix!!

Dana Brown Ritter said...

Okay, not only are we SO much alike, but it sounds like Matt and Michael are a lot alike, too! He says the same thing you say in #1.

And Janice is right - the end of #2 right there is GENIUS.

Cheri said...

Love this blog and all the advice you got. Sometimes when things mount up the smallest of things can set us off.