Sunday, March 6, 2011

I'm a Stager

In an effort to share some of the ways I'm able to get so much stuff done with you (by request, by the way, not because I think too highly of myself or anything, I promise!), I have another tip for you.

Stage stuff.

Yep, set out what you need for any given task, in the order that you need it. Then, use said stuff, and put it back into its place. This is a great system because it saves the time of going and getting this or that, and you can just use your time to get whatever task it is that you're doing, done. Plus, clean up is super easy when you're doing it one step at a time, as you go.

I got this idea from cooking. Baking, specifically.

You know how you set all of your ingredients out before you get started? Or, maybe you don't, but I do. And that made a light bulb go off in my head. Hey! I could do this with other stuff, like our morning routine!

Which, by the way, takes a good 3 hours or so. There's your answer, to anyone who asks why we get up at 4:00 o'clock in the morning!

Anyway, at night, before we go to bed, I have this whole little lap I do around our apartment, setting stuff out for the morning.
Some of it makes obvious sense...

Like moving the coffee table to the side so I can do my little cheesy workout video.

I also set out all of the supplies I need to take care of M's bathroom stuff in his bathroom.

See, it's great! When you're done with the man wash, put the man wash away. When you're done with the mouthwash, check that step off your list, put that way, etc., etc., etc..
When I'm done helping him, and getting him dressed, and after breakfast (which I of course also stage for, while he's in the bathroom, usually) then I stage my bathroom before I get in the shower.

Same principle. Make-up on, put it away. Hair did, put hair dryer away, etc., etc..

But, I have to admit (I am my Mother's daughter) I do even pre-load the coffee maker the night before, so that all I have to do when I stumble out of the bed at 4:00am, is hit "start." Down to the Splenda packets already poured into our mugs...

Yeah, 'cause I'm sick like that.

But, seriously. If you're looking to save some time, especially in the morning, try staging your stuff, then cleaning it up/putting it away as you go. I bet you it will save you some time, and help keep your place neater and more organized!
Cheers!
If I think of any other ways to save time, etc., I'll let you know. Feel free to keep the questions coming! Love them! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stage on Saturday nights..all the kids outfits for church, shoes, baby bag, etc!!

LaDonna said...

Everything must be arranged just right before I can concentrate on writing my papers or doing research. If not, I'm just wasting precious time.

Kristen Maddux said...

I spy a shout out to Gilmore Girls. Love the mug.
I'll have to share these tips with my hubby--he's the primary git 'er done guy around here! I think he'll like this approach. :)

Coffee Mom said...

I am a Saturday night stager, and try to do it each night with Madi's school uniforms/backpack/etc, but could definitely stand to learn from you! You are about 47 times more organized than I am!! ;)