Monday, February 1, 2010

Leadership Retreat Reflections

Hi everyone. I am taking a break from swimming in the details of President Obama's proposed budget for FY2011. My brain hurts. I figure a quick blog about nothing of national attention, and also that doesn't include ANY numbers, would be a nice little getaway.

An update on us... it snowed AGAIN! I think this may be like the 4th time it's snowed this season, and that's just craziness! They were only calling for an inch or so, but we got wallopped again... I'd say about 4 or 5 inches! Michael and I were driving home from the Leadership Retreat Saturday night and were shocked to see the Beltway and Interstate 66 hadn't even been touched by the snow plows and salt trucks!

We had an AMAZING weekend, though. Such an honor to be a part of National Community Church. Our staff clearly has their eyes, ears and hearts tuned into what God has in store for 2010 and beyond, and we're just honored to get to be a part of it. You can read Michael's twitter updates from the weekend here.

My own personal reflections... well, I haven't totally digested them yet, but I will tell you that as we sang and prayed, I kept feeling this urge to think on the words "In Your Name...." I know I need to do a better job of praying in, hoping in, and trusting in His name. As a church, we are committing to reading through the Bible in a year. I'm excited for, and secretly intimidated by this goal. It'll start in Lent! I was also challenged in the leadership role we play in the Prayer Ministry at NCC. I want to be a better, more focused, more encouraging leader. I want to see people and love them and care about them like Jesus does.

Michael and I committed to each other that during this first year of our marriage, we would be 100% focused on our relationship and not take on any additional ministry responsibilities. I thought of this during the retreat. My marriage and my love and service to my husband is my #1 priority. Hands down. But, I definitely haven't thought of it as a "ministry."

I tend, by nature of a coping mechanism, I believe, to compartmentalize a lot. I like to keep my work stuff at work, my home stuff at home. My friend stuff where it belongs. Family stuff in its own place. But, boy!! Has marriage really stirred the pot up! No matter how hard I try, I can't keep all of my hats on their own hooks. You know, the wife hat, the nurse hat, the chef hat, the maid hat, the driver hat. And sometimes, juggling all of my new hats, in addition to the ones I had before I got married, you know... the daugher hat, the friend hat, the sister hat, the TV news producer hat, the blogger hat... I often feel overwhelmed. Or, as we jokingly say around our house "all the whelmed."

I am reminded of a simple truth that I often lose sight of. Colossians 3:17: "... whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

Now, if I can just remember that!
Oh, how I do have this deep desire to really fall in love with the Word of God. To really have it written on my heart. I know that would help me, would center me, would calm the storms of worry and anxiety in my heart. I know this, in part, because sometimes, late at night (figuratively speaking, since we often go to bed before 8pm!) when I'm laying there... sometimes in tears because the day that's ending, or the one that we'll face tomorrow is full of uphill battles or to do lists or lots of hat switching... my dear husband will gently whisper God's word into my ears... and it. always. calms me down.

Someday... I do see us "in ministry." But, we are now, too. In our marriage. I am now re-framing... re-focusing... trying to really think of my role as a wife as a ministry role.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

We are by no means perfect, but if you ever have any marriage questions let me know. I know our situations are a backwards cause I'm in a chair and my husband is able-bodied, however I'm sure we have and will run into some of the same situations. You are are wise to focus on each other this first year of marriage. Also, it sounds like your church is a lot like mine. I've heard your pastor's name thrown around our church a lot. We go to Oak Leaf Church here in GA.