Saturday, June 14, 2008

What a Loss

I couldn't believe it when I got the phone call.  I was praying that my mom was confused and that it really wasn't Tim Russert.  I rushed home and plopped on my couch and I was stuck for 3 hours.  Glued.  I can't imagine what this loss is like for his family - thinking that they got that phone call on the other side of the world.  And his co-workers who were there when it happened.  My heart, my prayers, my thoughts go out to them.



Tim Russert is a giant to me.  He has an incredible legacy and I owe him a "thank you" for inspiring me!  I was 11 years old when Tim took over "Meet the Press,"  and I remember watching that show on Sunday mornings with my dad.  It was key in inspiring my interest in politics and journalism and it was a big ingredient in my dreams to become a network producer.  No one could interview a powerful person like Tim Russert.  He made it look so easy, too!  I heard person after person reflect yesterday that he was fair and that he was a good person and that he did his homework.


Those three things that Tim Russert excelled in made him the giant journalist that he was.  He leaves huge shoes to fill.  And a void in Washington.  Election night will not be the same.  It will be like having a wedding with no groom.  Who could forget "Florida, Florida, Florida" in 2000?  Gosh, I just can't even fully express how much I trusted Tim Russert and looked up to him and how I will miss him.  It will not be the same.


Thank you, little Russ.  (This pic was taken by my co-worker earlier this year on the campaign trail.  It's so sad that he won't be with us to see this historical election through - I know he loved it!) L_a4715acdc3b7b49681a58fe70dcc30a5



1 comment:

kelly said...

i could hardly believe the news yesterday when i heard it on the radio. so, so sad. and such a huge and unexpected loss to the news world. as you said, he was a trusted and comforting figure.