Sunday, April 9, 2006

The News Becomes The News

I've been terribly busy this week.  A lot of people want to know my opinion about the state of evening news as we know it.  Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the new faces of network news:Couric275_5Images_2  That's right, it's Brian Williams versus the ladies.  Talk about a whole new ballgame!! It's an exciting time to be alive!! What, just two years ago, there were 3 different faces.  Three faces that were practically institutions in this business.  The days of Brokaw, Rather and Jennings are no more.  God rest Peter's soul.  God bless Tom's vacation, and God just be with Dan Rather.  It has to hurt to go down like that.  Okay, now to Katie's news.  So, yeah, I'll admit it... I'm a Katie fan.  It used to be cooler to be a Katie fan than it is now.  She's become quite the diva, they say.  But whatever.  Katie was queen of morning news for 15 years.  You top that!  She did it all.  Interviews with presidents, Columbine parents, rode in a bobsled, etc.  And she did it all well.  She totally deserves this next move.  Nw_leftnavcov_060417_m10I think it's a little hard to imagine Katie's personality shining in the evening news the way it did on 'Today,' but she's more than just a bubbly personality.  She has the journalistic stripes to prove that, and maybe this move is for all of us to realize that too.  Plus, if you had been waking up at 3am for the last 15 years, wouldn't you be ready for a schedule change too?  Go Katie.  I'll watch, at least once I promise, to see how you do.  But there's no kidding.  Brian, I still remain with you.  You are "the man" in more ways than one, and for some reason, I have the crazy notion that I have to stay true to the peacock.



Also this week, new pictures were released of ABC's Bob Woodruff:Abc_woodruff2_060406_ssvWoodruffphotoAbc_woodruff01_060406_ssv  Bob went home this week to complete his recovery on an outpatient basis.  I know his family is happy to have him.  God bless Bob too.  He risked so much to go to Iraq to tell the story of this time, and got hurt doing just that.  Blasted by an IED, like so many of our troops have been also.  I'm glad to see he's doing better.  The most interesting part of this story to me is the friendship that his family shares with David Bloom's family.  I never knew that.  But apparently thier wives are best friends, and when David Bloom died in Iraq in 2003, the Woodruffs were really there for the Blooms.  Now it's the other way around.  I wish him the best.  Soon, hopefully we'll have another new face to watch in the evening.



Okay, now my thoughts on Meredith Vieira. Meredithvieira I like her, and I think it's a wise move on NBC's part.  I'm sure Jeff Zucker is now pleased that he has won the approval from a 26 year old local news neanderthal, such as myself.  Seriously, Meredith has what it takes, and she's not some young beauty.  She's been around the network block, as a journalist and as a host, and she and Matt seem to get along... so I hope it will work for them too.  NBC will have to come up with a new "America's First Family" song though... "Meredith, Matt, Al and Ann" just doesn't roll off the tongue the same!  Meredith has to totally be psyched though.. wouldn't you trade a spot in a chair next to Star Jones for a spot on the couch next to Matt Lauer anyday?  I know I would... DanaandmattlauerImagenyrd10104061914notice how he holds me just as close as Meredith... now that my friends, is CHEMISTRY. Besides, that day I met Matt Lauer, he signed my business card, "All my best, Matt Lauer."  Matt, my best too.  May 'Today' remain on top!!



 



No comments: