Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Dusting off the old blog

Have you ever been in an old house?

When my brother and I were kids, there was this house that was down the street by the church. If you rode your bike all the way to the end there were woods on the left. We would play back there. On the right there was a really old house. All I remember is it all looked like it was frozen in time. And there was cat food.

One time, we decided to go inside.

We opened the screen door on the porch. It slammed shut behind us. We look at each other. Did anyone hear that? Are we going to get in trouble? We tip toe to another door and open it. It's kind of creeky. It opens to a dusty, dim kitchen that looks kind of abandoned. But, we heard a TV on in the other room. We bolted out of there and stood our bikes up so fast and took off!

I don't know what we thought would happen. I haven't thought about this in years! I mean, really, what is the 100-year-old hoarding cat lady going to do, shoot us?

Tangent.
I was just thinking of a dusty, creeky old house and that memory came to mind. That, and the original "Flowers in the Attic" movie. So, I thought that memory was slightly happier.

It's been more than a year since I've creeked around this old space. This old space where my old feelings and dreams are piled up all over the place, covered in dust.

I'm not sure what it's going to be like going back to blogging. Will it be like an old friend who you can pick up where you left off? Or will it be awkward like where you take turns telling stories in chronological detail? Hit the highlights?

In some ways, it's like time stood still. In others, it's like it tick-tocked by while I was watching from a distance.


I don't know what it's going to be like.
I don't know how much I will be able to write on a regular basis.
I can tell you for sure that I have felt my heart being tugged back into writing more and more lately.
The desire to put words on the blank page in this familiar spot never truly went away.
I just got swallowed by life.

Like in one big gulp.
I think it's taken me this long to even realize it happened.
Not saying I'm past it, or I've figured it all out.

The other thing is - this space was where I poured out my soul when I was at my lowest, and it saved me. I put some really raw things on the internet when I was navigating those early days of marriage and caregiving and I lost myself and this helped me. A little virtual life raft.

This blog has changed over the years. I used to write about TV news and shopping and Brokaw, then I got married and it kind of became marriage and disability and caregiving-focused. Then it was dormant. I just kind of opened the valve and let whatever come out.

I don't know if that's smart or if that's how you're supposed to do it. But I am the boss of this space, so I guess I can do what I want. I worry less now about what people think of me. But, I do still care about my career and I don't want to say something dumb online.

So, I will need to be smart. Maybe pause before I hit "publish."

Maybe I'll just figure it out as I go. Isn't that we're all doing anyway? Prepare yourself for lots of writing about coffee and what God is doing (or not doing) in my life and a snuggly puggle and sappy posts about my husband loving me more than I deserve. Once I get my guard down, I'll tell you about this past year.

I think I need to, in order to move on.

Oh, and one other thing - I want to start a vlog. But I'm afraid of that. I'm afraid I'll overshare, I'm afraid you'll see how fat I've gotten, and I don't know when I'd have time to edit.

11 comments:

Kristen said...

Yay. This makes my whole week! :) You'll be able to strike the balance with whatever direction you decide to go, I have no doubt.
Happy to read your words again!

Kristen said...

Yay. This makes my whole week! :) You'll be able to strike the balance with whatever direction you decide to go, I have no doubt.
Happy to read your words again!

Becky said...

Love you, friend! Glad you're writing again.

Courtney said...

I love your blogs, because I love you and the amazing mind, heart and soul the Lord put behind your beautiful face. Your vulnerability in the past has been humbling, encouraging and inspiring. I have no doubt that whatever the Lord leads you to share here, it will be precious. And I can't wait to read it.

Cheri said...

Glad you are back!

Kristen said...

I'm so happy to see you here again! I like how you describe the blog as your own virtual life raft. Can't wait to read, and see, more from you!

Diane Moody said...

Dana, you are truly a gifted "crafter of words" and I'm so glad you're back!

Analisa Gifford said...

So happy that you're back writing on here. I discovered your blog while it was dormant and reading your words really helped me understand some of the things I have been feeling navigating my first year of marriage. Thanks for your honesty, and I look forward to reading more from you in the future!

Unknown said...

Thank you! I found your blog when I was dating my (at the time) boyfriend, now husband, who was paralyzed from a spinal cord injury when he was a kid. I appreciate your honesty, and in a small way I think it helped give me some of the courage I needed to pursue my relationship with my husband!

FIRMWARE said...

Need The To Hire A Hacker❓ Then contact FIRMWARE

The really amazing deal about contacting FIRMWARE is that the Hack done by us can’t get traced to you, as every Hacking job we do is strongly protected by our Firewall. It’s like saying if anyone tries to trace the Hack, it will lead them to us and we block whatever actions they are doing.

We have been Invisible to Authorities for almost a decade now and if you google FIRMWARE not really about us comes out, you can only see comments made by us or about us.

Another Amazing thing to you benefit from Hiring our Hackers is that you get a Legit and the best Hacking service, As we provide you with Professional Hackers who have their Hacking Areas of specialization.
We perform every Hack there is, using special Hacking tools we get from the dark web.

Some list of Hacking Services we provide are-:
▪️Phone Hacking & Cloning ✅
▪️Computer Hacking ✅
▪️Emails & Social Media Account Hacking✅
▪️Recovering Deleted Files✅
▪️Tracking & Finding People ✅
▪️Hunting Down Scammers✅
▪️Hack detecting ✅
▪️Stealing/Copying Files & Documents From Restricted Networks and Servers ✅
▪️Credit Score Manipulation ✅
▪️ Deleting Criminal Records✅
▪️Bitcoin Multiplication✅
▪️Binary Option Money Recovery ✅
▪️Scam Money Recovery✅
And lots more......


Whatever Hacking service you require, just give us an Email to the Emails Address provided below.
firmwarehacks@gmail.com
FIRMWAREHACKS@GMAIL.COM



“AS LONG AS ITS TECHNOLOGY IT WILL BE HACKED”


FIRMWARE
2021 © All Right Reserved..

jamsroot888 said...

Hey There. I found your blog which talks about "Dusting off the old blog". This is a very well written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely return. By the way, You can visit my homepage for further information: solve my accounting paper online.