Thursday, November 27, 2014

I Didn't See This Coming

It is good to be thankful.

Yesterday, as I was about to leave work, I opened a window on my computer and googled "Thanksgiving Desserts." I started scrolling through recipes, thinking about what ingredients I had on hand, then a thought crossed my mind: "What am I doing?"

And just like that, I shut the computer down, drove to Kroger, bought a cake and came home.

Contentment.

A quick scroll through my TimeHop App takes me back to Thanksgivings past, when I made Pumpkin Trifle, and Strawberry Scones, and Homemade Bread. And the year Michael was sick and we stayed home and I made turkey and all the trimmings on a whim, that day.
Those were great days.
But that's not where I am anymore. I love where I am now. I never would have thought my evenings would look the way they do.

I come home from work, and dinner is either made, or almost made. By a guy who can't fully use his hands. He has limited use of his arms, and no use of his fingers. I never in a million years would have thought those wrists would peel carrots, chop potatoes, sauté asparagus, make Rosemary Chicken, Pot Roast, the list goes on.
But he does it, y'all. It's crazy. He does it and I come home and sometimes chop the meat and always we eat together and gush over how good it is.

It is good to be thankful. It is good to not have to do it all.

When Michael and I got married there were some things I knew I'd have to do. I embraced the cooking. I love cooking, actually! But it does take time at home. And because I work so much, I have far less time at home. So now we are one of those couples where he cooks and she cleans up.
And now I'm a girl who brings a store-bought cake to Thanksgiving and is totally fine with it. Because my identity is not found in the kitchen. Not that I'm saying yours is if you've cut out leaf-shaped pie crust. Go on with your bad self, girlfriend! That's awesome.

Life is season after season after season. I'm content right here in the middle of this one.

11 comments:

Kristen said...

This is so, so great, Dana. Good for you! And good for Mike!

bettyC said...

Great post. Thanks.
After 40+ years, I gave up hosting Thanksgiving. I wanted to change the tradition before Bruce died (he was given 2-5 years to live. He lived 7). He escaped ALS on 11/2/13. Last year I was numb. This is sorta my first Thanksgiving. I'm grateful for knowing him for 58 years, married for 55. Life goes on. Thank goodness for a loving, supportive family.
Happy Thanksgiving

Diane Moody said...

Only now having a chance to catch up on email, and I just now read your post. Have to admit I got teary-eyed reading about Michael's culinary skills and his obvious passion for doing all he can to help out. I know it's not easy for either of you to do what you do, but I can certainly see God's grace and blessings spilling all over you two. You're such an inspiration to all of us!
Thanks so much for sharing and being so transparent. Love you guys!

Allison said...

Ohhh, I'm going to tell Justin he is slacking :)

Unknown said...

I am a little new to being disabled. I am in a wheelchair and have sever nerve damage to my right arm. So to read the post about your husband cooking gives me hope. Thank you.

Cheryl said...

What an adorable picture! It is nice to know that if anything drops, the cleanup crew is standing by. My dogs LIVE for food escapees. :-)

Kerry Schultz said...

it sure would have gotten quite hectic for you guys but it feels nice to see that the couple has succumbed to the new change quite well. keep us all posted with more from you

BB. said...

Really looking forward to read more
Polski Dentysta Londyn

Serety said...

These blog contents are needed.

Kimberly

FIRMWARE said...

Need The To Hire A Hacker❓ Then contact FIRMWARE

The really amazing deal about contacting FIRMWARE is that the Hack done by us can’t get traced to you, as every Hacking job we do is strongly protected by our Firewall. It’s like saying if anyone tries to trace the Hack, it will lead them to us and we block whatever actions they are doing.

We have been Invisible to Authorities for almost a decade now and if you google FIRMWARE not really about us comes out, you can only see comments made by us or about us.

Another Amazing thing to you benefit from Hiring our Hackers is that you get a Legit and the best Hacking service, As we provide you with Professional Hackers who have their Hacking Areas of specialization.
We perform every Hack there is, using special Hacking tools we get from the dark web.

Some list of Hacking Services we provide are-:
▪️Phone Hacking & Cloning ✅
▪️Computer Hacking ✅
▪️Emails & Social Media Account Hacking✅
▪️Recovering Deleted Files✅
▪️Tracking & Finding People ✅
▪️Hunting Down Scammers✅
▪️Hack detecting ✅
▪️Stealing/Copying Files & Documents From Restricted Networks and Servers ✅
▪️Credit Score Manipulation ✅
▪️ Deleting Criminal Records✅
▪️Bitcoin Multiplication✅
▪️Binary Option Money Recovery ✅
▪️Scam Money Recovery✅
And lots more......


Whatever Hacking service you require, just give us an Email to the Emails Address provided below.
firmwarehacks@gmail.com
FIRMWAREHACKS@GMAIL.COM



“AS LONG AS ITS TECHNOLOGY IT WILL BE HACKED”


FIRMWARE
2021 © All Right Reserved..

Anonymous said...


It is a shame how people come in contact with fake hackers, I was a victim too until I met Wizard Schwartz Hacker. He helped me when I needed him the most. His charges are so minimal I decided to help promote him. Some of the services he renders include the following:

++ Boost your credit score
++ Identify & Track fake hackers
++ Recover funds from fake hackers.
++ Social media account hack
++ Game hack
++ Website and database hack
++ Erasure of criminal record
++ Bank account hack
++ Track a cheating mate/hack their phones
++ Software cracking
++ Grade system hack
++ Bitcoin mining and recovery and lots more. He is the best in what he does.

CONTACT HIM : schwartzsoftwarehackingprogram@gmail.com, WhatsApp:+1 704-313-9661