Sunday, June 29, 2014

What if We Traded in Our Wishes For Dreams?


Jill Phillips wrote a song called “Steel Bars.”
I love it. Look it up.

Sometimes I feel so imprisoned inside my own limitations.
Surrounded by my sin.
My discontent.
Not holy discontent.
Sinful discontent.
The kind that causes you to look around and wish for anything and everything that is not your current reality.

I wish I had her arms.
I wish my husband could mow the lawn.
I wish we could afford to go to that concert.
I wish I didn’t have to work.
I wish I could sleep at night.
wish
wish
wish

At the end of each wish is a tastier, greener-grass, more-fulfilling, easier life.
The problem with all of those wishes, though?
They are lies.
Because if I had her arms, I’d want her arms.
And if my husband could mow the lawn, I’d wish he wouldn’t do something else.
And there are never enough concerts.
If I didn’t work, I’d wish I did.
Sleep is something I wish for when I’m exhausted, but something I wish away when I’m on a productive streak.

I’d rather dream than wish, anyway.
Because at least dreams are something I can work towards.
Dreams are possible.
Dreams are actionable.

We can take our dreams to our God and to our friends and to our husbands and mull them around. They can bend and stretch and sometimes die or become something else, but they’re moldable.

We can do something about dreams.

So today, I take my discontent and all my “why me’s” and my wishes to the cross.
Lay them down.
Trade those burden in.
For dreams.
And goals.
And possibility and grace and favor and ask God to partner with me in making change, instead of begging for a different life than the one He clearly has designed for me.

I’ll put one foot in front of the other.

Trust.
Hope.
Pray.
Run towards God with my questions and my fears and my passions and dreams.

A couple of years ago, I was producing a TV interview with a presidential candidate and his wife and there was something she said that stopped me in my tracks. She was talking about a very difficult circumstance they had to face in their life and she said that she was able to move forward when she stopped asking God “why,” and started asking Him “what?”

I stopped the timer on my iPhone, which I was using to time the interview. I opened up my notes app and typed that in there.

I still use that lesson. I knew when I couldn’t sleep last night because of my sinful discontent that I was back in the weeds of the “why.”

It took some crying and complaining and kicking and screaming, but now I’m back at the “what?”

Let’s skip the why step, y’all.
It’s no fun, anyway.
Let’s dream instead of wish.
Pray instead of complain.
Set goals instead of waste time.

I think the easiest thing to do and the hardest thing to do is to decide to love where we are right now.
It’s easiest because the only thing that needs to change is us.

It’s hard because everything inside of us is telling us that we shouldn’t have to/don’t want to/don’t have to/it’s not fair/it’s not our fault/etc.

In the wise words of The Fray “Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same.
The thing is right in font of us.
Let’s love that.

8 comments:

R. Molder said...

I love your honesty!

Joy said...

I happened upon this post and I so needed it today. Praising the Lord for using you as a vessel.

Anonymous said...

DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS
It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
What's app +2347012841542
Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

William Woodruff said...

I hope that everything you have written in your blog will be helpful in changing my life, and I will be able to make my dreams come true by trading my desires. If you desire to increase your academic grades, why are you not using Coursework Writing Service online?

Nelson Murdock said...

Dreams of what we want to be, what we want to do, and what we want to have. And while some of us may never achieve those dreams, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't try. I will be able to realise my dreams if you want to improve your academic performance. I would recommend finding to write my dissertation for me that has a good choice and is known for providing quality work.

Lucy Carvin said...

That's an interesting thought! It could be a great way to explore the idea of manifesting our desires and putting in the effort to make them a reality. by the way i want a on fevour i want to do my assignments which is pending will anyone can suggest me Assignment help online

Zayn Khaled said...

A Makki Surah Naba is what it is. The main topics of Surah Naba PDF are the Day of Judgment and the rewards and punishments that will be administered on that day. It also contains warnings on the harmful consequences of human irresponsibility and disobedience.

Katie Jackson said...

First off, I just want to say how much I loved your article about how a custom curly cut fixed your natural hair damage. Your writing style is so engaging, and I felt like I was right there with you throughout your hair journey. As someone with curly hair myself, I can totally relate to the struggles and frustrations of trying to tame those unruly locks.Dissertation Writing Services UK