Sunday, December 8, 2013

This Love Is Ours

I wake up at weird times on the weekends, because I work at weird times during the week.

I don't hate it.

So, yesterday, I was peeling sweet potatoes in my kitchen at 5:00 a.m.
I was sliding the potato peeler toward the stainless steel bowl, careful to make sure the peels landed inside the bowl, when I noticed a little brown spot on the potato.

These potatoes are a couple of weeks old, and the only reason I was peeling them at 5:00 a.m., was to throw them in a breakfast skillet, because I knew they needed to be eaten soon.

I took a closer look and noticed it was a heart!

I ran it into the bedroom to show Michael.
I thought it was extra cute, because I don't know if y'all know this but, Michael calls me "Sweet," short for sweetheart - which I have no idea where I got that name, because I am a lot of things, but I am generally not very sweet. But anyway, somehow I have him fooled, and for that, I'm grateful.

I served M breakfast in bed, then I highlighted my hair, and took a shower, then I was going to get him up. We were easing into a weekend that included fun, festive plans.

But then, when I rolled him over, getting him ready for the day, I noticed that dang pressure sore, screaming back at me.

Y'all, it's back.
Well, I guess I shouldn't say back, because it hasn't technically gone away since before July, but it's back as in it's mad again, and I had to be the mean nurse lady, and put M back on bed rest.

I don't know if we are finally getting used to this crap, or if maybe a bunch of people are praying for us, but it was really okay.

I was kind of sad to miss the Christmas Parade with my family, but my number one priority was taking care of my husband, and doing everything I could to cheer him up. I want to be his helper in a way that makes things better and easier for him, not in a way that makes things worse.

So, on his side he went.
I went out and ran errands, then came back, and we had sushi in bed and watched a few episodes of Homeland on the iPad.
We were sweet to each other.
We cuddled a lot.

I got him up late afternoon just long enough for him to shave and wash his hair. Then put him back in bed, and I cooked and cleaned a little, and watched the news.

I made pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, because those bring cheer.
I ate four.
The fourth one was outright sin.
I may or may not have eaten three more before writing this blog post at 4:00 this morning.

Before we fell asleep, we laid in bed, both on our side, and Michael and I took turns reading from the book of Philippians, and we prayed together.

And I remembered, that as long as we lean into each other, as long as we lean into the Lord and really trust Him, and as long as we don't zoom out too far and look at ourselves and especially if we don't allow ourselves to feel sorry for ourselves or each other, we really can do this and it really isn't that bad.

There has been a lot of not-fun in our lives this year. Dreams not coming true. Bills not being paid. Pressure sores not healing. Us not sleeping.

I bought a 2014 planner the other day.
I can't wait to get the new year started.
This one has been a hard one.

But, at least we've done it together.
We are a team.
No added annoyance or challenge can take that away from us.

I think we make it through because we really mean it.
We really love each other.
Deep down.
Beyond the platitudes and beyond the routine.
Our 'survival mode' is rooted in hunkering down and holding on to each other.

So, I'll take days like yesterday that don't go as planned, but end happily and together. I'll take as many as I can get.

Because, to steal a line from a Taylor Swift song, this love is ours.


6 comments:

Kristen Maddux said...

You are the fourth person this week (myself included) that I've heard talk about how rough 2013 has been. Maybe there's something to the number 13 being an unlucky?! haha! But seriously, I'm ready for a fresh start too. "14" has a nice, even ring to it! :) The year hasn't been *horrible* for us (we've had much worse, believe me). But there's just been so much unexpected junk, and I don't handle that well. Already praying that the new year will bring joy, renewal and a fresh dose of His refreshing Spirit.

Kristen Maddux said...

You are the fourth person this week (myself included) that I've heard talk about how rough 2013 has been. Maybe there's something to the number 13 being an unlucky?! haha! But seriously, I'm ready for a fresh start too. "14" has a nice, even ring to it! :) The year hasn't been *horrible* for us (we've had much worse, believe me). But there's just been so much unexpected junk, and I don't handle that well. Already praying that the new year will bring joy, renewal and a fresh dose of His refreshing Spirit.

Unknown said...

If his pressure sore still isn't healed, change how you treat it every day. One day use just plain saline and pack the wound with gauze. The next day use some sort of antibacterial gel on gauze. The next day use those expensive patches. I had one for four years that the doctors could not heal. My wife decided to change the way she treated it every day with just two methods. After four years it only took four months for it to heal completely.

Dana Brown Ritter said...

Hi Pete! Thanks for your message! I'd love to connect with you. I sent you a Facebook request.

Unknown said...

Hello! As I sit here next to my boyfriend, who is a quad C3,4,5, in the hospital yet again. I realized I needed to connect with others going through the same things and I stumbled across your blog. That was 4 hours ago. I can't stop reading! I have cried and laughed and cried again. I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate this blog and look forward to what is to come! If you would love to connect with you and get some advice!

Anonymous said...

DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS
It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
What's app +2347012841542
Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341