Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Life Lately

Okay.
I'm going to be straight with you.
Anyone who reads this blog and/or knows me, knows I'm obsessive about making lists, and checking things off.
Truth: I have a list of blog topics to write about.
Truth: Some of these topics are getting stale.
Truth: I kind of think of this blog as a little scrapbook of our lives, so I like to put pictures and what not up here not so much to entertain you, but so we can look back and remember what our days were like.

Keep that in mind as you read this post and the randomness that it is.

There have been so many little things I've been wanting to tell you about.
Like this little book of questions my good friend Mariesa sent to us.

It's by the "Love Language" folks, and basically, it just gives you and your spouse a chance to talk about things you might not talk about otherwise. It's been fun so far, getting to know this stuff about each other.

My answer to this particular question: a trampoline. My brother and I asked for it every birthday, and every Christmas, and always got the same answer from our Mom, "Lawsuit."

I also wanted to tell you about an awesome meal I made recently, which involved salmon...
And a salad topped with fresh strawberries...
But, alas.
I can't remember what I did to these things that made them so good.
I've been on a "freestyling" kick in the kitchen lately.
It's been fun, and good.
But I haven't been paying attention to anything I've been making, so who knows if I'll ever be able to re-create any of this stuff!

I wanted to show off this bread because it was my best bread yet!
The trick was putting it in a slightly smaller pan! And freezing after baking, oh, how I recommend that. I was worried about how it would taste after being frozen, but it's delicious! And easier to slice :) Yum. I can't wait to make some more. Don't know when there will be time for that though, so right now, there is some store bought bread in our pantry.

I also wanted to share with you an honor I received at work:
Employee of the Month! It meant so much to be to be recognized by my co-workers. I have the best co-workers on the planet. Just sayin'. I thoroughly enjoyed the little shopping spree my Employee of the Month loot provided.

Did you notice my new glasses?
I was finally able to get new glasses and contacts, thanks to our tax refund.
Thank you, Jesus.

Michael and I are really, really enjoying each other lately. Not that we haven't always enjoyed each other. That's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying we are seriously best friends. Best friends who enjoy lounging together in sweats...
and getting outside in this beautiful weather, too!
Easter Sunday, Michael DRAGGED me out to the court yard to enjoy lunch after church. I went, kicking and screaming, because I'm not a sit-in-the-public-courtyard kind of girl. I'm fine at the pool. But sitting in the courtyard, even though I guess that's what it's there for, seems weird to me. But M knew I wanted to get some sun. And he knew if I just started cooking and cleaning, I wouldn't get to do that. So, he dragged me, kicking and screaming. And we ate leftover salmon and had smoothies, right there on the lawn. I got my first sunburn of the season!
We took the doggies out there, too.
They were getting a little hot.
They're not used to the sun anymore!
Somebody (shockingly) was being ALL DRAMATIC...
Mmm. Hmm.
He's seeking some shade.
Oh, Brokaw.

We've actually really been enjoying more and more time outside!
I finally swept off our back porch.
We lost a hanging basket over the Winter.
Who knows where that ended up.
I want to get some more plants.
Poor plants.
I feel like when they see me coming at Home Depot, they should run and hide.
Because they're going to be executed.
Maybe I can find some suicidal plants.
I took Brokaw for a long walk one day last week to tire him out.
I think it worked.
On me!
Princess and Michael just chilled on the porch.
Yes, he's panting.
Wimp.

I've also wanted to share with you this book we've been reading over breakfast. "Hope for Each Day," by Billy Graham. It's simple. Yet wonderful. And it's perfect for framing our minds around what is really important first thing each morning.
Let's see, what else has been going on lately?
Oh, yeah.
Some people got married.
Ah, yes. Will and Kate.
Congratulations to them.
Good for them.
But you know what?
You want some real honesty?
Michael and I weren't really into the wedding. We were annoyed by all of the "news" coverage leading up to the wedding. But, we are up at 4:00am on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays anyway, so it was on. Fine. It is history. So, I thought, I'll leave it on.

The thing is, Friday morning, at about 5:00am, Michael is finishing up going to the bathroom, and I'm in the bathroom helping him clean up. Quite frankly, it really is gross. It has gotten A MILLION AND A HALF times better than it used to be, but there is still a lot of febreeze spraying going on if you catch my drift.

So.
Yeah.
Skinny, beautiful Kate in the background becoming a Princess, while I dealt with that shtuff was not cool at all.
It made me cry.
And I don't cry all the time like I used to.
So, that sucked.
I kept telling myself to stop comparing this to the Royal Wedding day.
No, it's not fair. But that's not a fair comparison. So, I tried to re-route my comparison to our wedding day, because that day, was grand. And beautiful. And it felt royal.
Much more royal than taking care of bathroom stuff.
So, I missed the actual ceremony.
Oh well.
We already have a Princess around here anyway.
That morning, I guess in some feeble attempt to make myself feel better, I tried extra hard to look "cute."
This involved a headband and a scarf. The headband made me feel a little bit like a 10 year old. And the scarf made me feel like I looked like a flight attendant.
In the end, I was horribly late for work. And I decided after that, I'd rather just be me, and be on time.
Cheers.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Shewwww! Now you can cross that off the list! Warmth and sun are awesome! Glad you were out enjoying it in the courtyard. A little vitamin D is good for you. I'm sure it feels great to catch up on the list and I love to catch up on what is going on! Love you!

Kristen Maddux said...

For the record, I think you look darling in the scarf and headband, but I'm kinda fancy like that. :) "I'd rather just be me, and be on time." hilarious!